Thread: Adding Effects Question/s

ME: Dean CADI-X
    Rig: Randall RG 100SC

Adding Effects Question/s

Current set up:

- guitar/tuner/od/chorus/amp

- amp/zuul/amp

- tuner/zuul

I want to add a flanger & digital delay. After doing quite a bit of reading I believe I want to place them in the effects loop(?), but not sure how to tie them in with the zuul.

Thanks in advance for any (helpful) opinions and input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Yes you want effects in the FX loop

And overdrive in front of amp

With the noisegate (I had to google what "zuul" is so its better if you just refer to it as a noisegate) try it in front and in fx and see where it works best.
    But always before the delay/reverbs

ME: Dean CADI-X
    Rig: Randall RG 100SC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Yes you want effects in the FX loop

And overdrive in front of amp

With the noisegate (I had to google what "zuul" is so its better if you just refer to it as a noisegate) try it in front and in fx and see where it works best.
    But always before the delay/reverbs
    The noise gate works best in the effects loop, but my question is... from the amp, In What Order should I run the NG/Flanger/Delay?

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Dean MLX
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

Flangers can be noisy so you want that before the gate. I'd put the delay after the gate. You could play a riff and stop, and the gate will cut off the signal to the delay but the delay will continue to echo until the repeats run out.

If you put the gate after the delay, the echo will be cut off by the gate which could sound strange and unnatural.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

What amp? Series or parallel loop?

I would do flanger then delay. Though it depends on the pedals and what options they offer of course.

I don't know the exact input config of the Zuul, and I think there are multiple versions, but honestly if you are running the amp listed under your avatar and your pickups and shit aren't super noisey, I would just get rid of it. Solid State amps usually don't need gates, one of their benefits. I have a VH-140C, and it's much quieter than my tube amps.

If you do need the gate for whatever reason, it would help if you specify where the noise is coming from. Unless you have something else that is mega noisey, I would just put it after the guitar or the OD and nowhere else.

If you do want the zuul in the loop, i would do it before the flanger and the delay, though once again it depends on what models and settings and etc. etc. etc. and whether you are using the flanger for heavily effected signals or just kicking it on for a little added juice on solos or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    If you put the gate after the delay, the echo will be cut off by the gate which could sound strange and unnatural.

True that most people don't want gated FX on guitar, but it's not unheard of. It's not as "unnatural" as it was when that style first hit the scene.

Also, in all honesty, unless you are one of those indie guys who likes having a huge pedal board and you are constantly tap dancing, I wouldn't bother with a separate chorus and flanger. Chorus or Flanger.

If you don't like the sounds you are getting from your current Chorus pedal alone, then I would say just grab another one, or replace it with another flanger.

You can google "difference between phaser/flanger/chorus" to get more in depth technical descriptions of where the signal is split and delayed and flipped in each, and it depends on the actual circuit in questions, but an over simplified version is "a chorus is just a flanger with a longer delay".

Unless you are a total FX junkie, or really do a lot of spacey guitar parts, you probably don't need a separate chorus and flanger for a "5-6 pedals and under" rig. There are definitely a lot of pedals that can do the sound you want in one pedal, as well as a bunch of inventive in between pedals that are somewhere in between a flanger and a chorus or offer aspects of both.

ME: Dean MLX
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

True that most people don't want gated FX on guitar, but it's not unheard of. It's not as "unnatural" as it was when that style first hit the scene.
    Yeah i remember watching something about that where it was initially a mistake during the recording process but they just dug it and decided to keep it. Something along the lines of it became a huge trend for the era to do drums with huge reverb that was gated.