Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Floor modeller & wireless suggestions

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Cobra Commander 
#1 ·
Current Rig:
- Sennheiser ½ width guitar wireless
- Kemper rack
- Mooer GE300 floor Controller/redundancy back-up.
- Sennheiser ½ width IEM

I run a clean DI from Kemper > Mooer for dropping to three lower tunings (Mooer transposition is not up to it), so I only fly two guitars cover to my show. But………I’m already sick of dragging a 4U through airports and having to dismantle in customs. I’m wondering whether I can get smaller units and pack in a more convenient DJ back-pack (The GE300 already travels in a multi guitar case in the hold) .

Desired Rig:
- Digitech Whammy DT (Midi capable)
- Mooer GE300
- *Small form factor redundant modeller (Midi capable)
- ~Pedal form factor wireless (non-digital)

* I’ve been looking the HX stomp, but any demos I’ve checked haven't sounded good. Also considered Kemper Stage but, they screwed the launch so badly that I don’t trust it
~ I don’t want to go digital, already run into a lot of issues with venue wifi networks & mobile phones causing havoc on 2.4ghz

TL;DR Suggest * & ~

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the HX Stomp, but I'm mainly using it for jamming with headphones. Small, relatively inexpensive, readily available.

#8 ·
I've got the new BOSS WL-60 and I think it kicks ass.

It is on the 2.4 band though, which you don't want.

If all the standard modern bands are congested with signals, you might have better luck switching to an older high quality VHF unit.
Yeah I looked at the WL-60 alongside the Shure GLX, they all get reports of network interference. I've been searching for older UHF units and finding nothing in a pedal form factor. I may just end up with my G3 on the floor I think.

#10 · (Edited)
I picked up a used atomic amplifire 3 the other day for 250 shipped. It's a tiny bit bigger than a helix stomp, and doesn't have as many fx or routing options, but the amp modelling is great. It's easily better than my axe fx standard and helix native for amp tones. I'm not sure how it compares to the physical helix units as I've not done a side by side. From memory it's better. Some helix users say native and the physical units sound different - maybe that's something to do with the quality of the inputs vs their interface input. It also does IR loading for direct.

One downside is you can't order your signal chain EXACTLY how you like - the signal path is semi fixed. For example noise gates can go at the start of the chain, or after the amp model etc. You can only have of each fx type.

The fx are a little basic, but do you use many fx? If you want to give it a try I'm sure we can sort a meet up or something.

Edit: the 6 and 12 have a pitch shifter that's meant to be very good. The 3 doesn't have enough cpu to support it, but I've no need for that.

Atomic Amplifire - The Pitchshifter Demonstration - YouTube

#11 ·
I've had my HX Stomp for about a week now and really dig it. Far more precise sims, a ton of edit options, as CC pointed out above you can easily edit your signal chain and so much more. I'd suggest you at least buy one and mess with it a bit, then return it if it doesn't float your boat. For the price, size and ease of us, I'm not sure it can be beat, however.

#12 ·
At this point, my itchy credit card finger is wavering towards the Mooer preamp live. It fits the physical criteria like the HX stomp, but I can tone capture a Kemper preamp signal on the GE300, use a blended IR, then duplicate minus effects in the Pre-amp live. Effectively I will be replicating my current capability in a much more transportable format.

#13 ·
Mooer also has the GE250 coming out which also has their tone capture feature and a bit more functionality and routing than the ge200 as far as I could tell.

#15 ·
Finally got everything set up today. The GE300 is the main signal, the loop of the 300 is sending a clean DI to the Preamp live as a permanent back up, which can be plugged direct if something goes wrong. The 300 is midi switching the channels in the Preamp Live, which in turn is sending PC info to the Whammy to select the correct de-tune in the drop tune section.

Bit of an odd set up on the Whammy, each function has a PC number assigned to enact and another to disable, so if I switch back to a standard tuning patch it has to send a 'disable' message.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.