Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You called?
    I think he was looking for Ben Eler.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah.

You can't tell the difference between a tube power amp and a solid state power amp just by listening? What the hell kind of audiophile are you? I'm not even a big tube guy and I could tell right away.

That Carvin is still rad as fuck. It's light as hell, super loud and has a button on it that basically emulates the resonance knob on a 5150/6505. It sounds great, I just wanted something a bit more tube-y and since my shit never leaves my office, I don't give a fuck how light something is.

It's also silent, something I wish the 20:20 was.
    Should have stuck with the 5150. The biggest con to Mesa products is you have to talk with other Mesa fanatics.

The most insufferable fanbase of any gear brand. Period. I've sold Mesa gear just because I fucking hate hearing people talk about Mesa gear. From the "everyone will offer you an unabridged history of Mesa amps the second you start talking about them" to the "discussing Rectifiers in hushed tones of reverence in spite of not knowing what the fuck a Rectifier even is" to "the classic game of Mesa one up manship" (I actually just pulled that on you, getting in early on the "My mesa power amp that I don't own anymore is cooler than yours" before Crooks and the other guys with huge Mesa rigs show up) to the "the EQ isn't like a regular amp, YOU HAVE TO EQ WITH YOUR HEART, NOT YOUR PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS OF TONE".

Like, it still has fucking three knobs dude. I'm not training to be a fucking Jedi Knight. Just because the bass isn't meant to be on noon doesn't mean it's automatically the most advanced thing ever. It's even worse on the models with the GEQ. "YOU HAVE TO DO WEIRD STUFF WITH THE MAIN EQ AND REVERSE IT WITH THE GEQ, IT'S THE HIDDEN PATH OF MESA". People act like Mesa controls are ancient mysterious knowledge like the fucking dead sea scrolls or something.

And who can forget the classic "Mesa amps are so advanced they don't need pedals up front. Ever. A Pedal is sacrilege." creed. A sentiment that mysteriously changed the second Mesa started releasing overpriced variations of common pedals.

To your guys credit you aren't the most pretentious Mesa fans I know, although Jeff is close (although I haven't seen him around lately), up in Montana there is one of the biggest and most prestigious Mesa dealerships in the US and it's unbearable. My old band was even more hardcore in terms of Mesa fanaticism. We had like, an intensive and heated band meeting on the subject of whether we should both set our amps to spongy or only one of us could be the spongy one. Before I showed up, their old rig was each 3/4 Mesa stacks, and each guitarist had the other guitarists recto 2/12 under their 4/12 for some weird fucking reason so there would be maximum Mesa cohesiveness because there is no such thing as too many Mesa products on stage. Unsurprisingly they abandoned that one, as no one could tell what the fuck was going on.

I remember when the Mark V came out and I tried to order one and it was like Night at the Fucking Roxbury, they were just like, "Sorry dude, I don't care if you have the money, this is backordered for like a fucking year and you aren't on the list".

Also, I can't count the number of times I've been presented with a Mesa transferable warranty that is well past the five years effective date and the person bestowing it upon me acts like I am being knighted by the queen of fucking england. Mesa is the only product where you will always get asked if you have "the papers". Like, you know that's only good for five years or whatever, right?

Also, if you suggest that any brand has a higher build quality than Mesa, or bigger transformers, Mesa fans will automatically go on a rant about how it is literally impossible that anything could ever have higher build quality or bigger transformers than a Mesa because Mesa are built to military spec, the military spec of aliens from the 41st century. Any other gear that advertises it is built to military spec is lying. Including gear actually made by the military.

I mean, Mesa stuff is nice, but I give it like, three posts after this one before the full on Mesa cult ritual kicks in. Dave is going to swoop in pretty soon and start seriously suggesting that we should abolish the B.C./A.D. system of human record keeping and make year zero the year the Rectifier was first available to the public and go for a B.R./A.R. system.

*Their wheeled casters are legitimately the fucking best though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I think he was looking for Ben Eler.
    That had gone over my head.

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Should have stuck with the 5150. The biggest con to Mesa products is you have to talk with other Mesa fanatics.
    I still have the 5150, BroChacho.

I agree with you on all the rest.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

I only use the clean channel on my MkIV, hate the other two, and only use it on "tweed" power. I feel unworthy of it all of a sudden
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    I only use the clean channel on my MkIV, hate the other two, and only use it on "tweed" power. I feel unworthy of it all of a sudden
    WAT?!

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    WAT?!
    Yeah, I should trade it for a Super Reverb honestly. Anyway......