Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NMMD (New Mini Mesa Day)

Tags
day mesa mini nmmd
3K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Dominic 
#1 ·
Got one of these. It sounds awesome. :yesway: ...And is a zillion times louder than I'll ever need it to be. :lol:

I'm not really used to having a power amp with a presence knob, though.

See less See more
#13 ·
The other side of my "studio" is a pack & play for my 2 year old, so no. :lol: Plan is to set it up for maximum laziness - Axe-Fx in one channel, Kemper in the other so that I don't have to swap cables when I switch preamps.

I won't really use this all that much, but wanted one for quite a while. I had an ebay alert setup for it and it's the first one I'd seen in a long time. Stoked. :yesway:

#8 ·
Don't make me record a boring guitar video where I sit perfectly still and stare at my webcam with a smug, self-satisfied look.

#11 ·
Did you replace the Carvin with this?

I've had three Mesa Power amps, and I had the 2:50, and they are definitely insanely nice., the 2:50 is my favorite power amp, in between the one you got and the 2:90 in terms of Mesa's offerings from that time period. And my top choice as far as power amps go.

But I'm not actually sure I could tell the sound of a Mesa Power amp apart from the less prestigious stuff like Carvins at home recording volumes. :lol:

Do you have 6l6s or EL-34s in there?

I actually just got a less prestigious ART Power Amp for my monitors. Which has like, zero cachet, even less than your Carvin, but it sounds as good as anything else if you aren't pushing huge amounts of volume. :lol:

#14 ·
Did you replace the Carvin with this?
Yeah.

But I'm not actually sure I could tell the sound of a Mesa Power amp apart from the less prestigious stuff like Carvins at home recording volumes. :lol:
You can't tell the difference between a tube power amp and a solid state power amp just by listening? What the hell kind of audiophile are you? I'm not even a big tube guy and I could tell right away.

I actually just got a less prestigious ART Power Amp for my monitors. Which has like, zero cachet, even less than your Carvin, but it sounds as good as anything else if you aren't pushing huge amounts of volume. :lol:
That Carvin is still rad as fuck. It's light as hell, super loud and has a button on it that basically emulates the resonance knob on a 5150/6505. It sounds great, I just wanted something a bit more tube-y and since my shit never leaves my office, I don't give a fuck how light something is. :lol:

It's also silent, something I wish the 20:20 was. :lol:

#12 ·
Also, you should swap those knobs out for the silver ones. The black ones don't announce "hey, look at this quality Mesa Power Amp" enough.

I think some of the 20/20s or 2:20s had them. There was also a straight up silverface variation which is pretty cool.

I like the older ones like the 50/50 too, but those don't look as prestigious as the ones in the 2:x era.

The downside of owning any Mesa Power Amp that isn't a 2:90 is that very shortly people that do own 2:90s will come in and tell you, "Well, it's pretty cool, but it's not a 2:90. I don't know why you would get a Mesa Power Amp and not get a 2:90."

If you own a Mesa Power Amp that's not a 2:90, it's just an open invitation for 2:90 owners to come and tell you that your gear is cute, but somewhat inadequate.

#27 ·
I went looking for all the "Someone please tell me how to get that coveted Division tone" threads to see what you guys use but didn't find any. Had I known, I surely wouldn't have made such a grievous error.

:division:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.