amps - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: amps

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Mini heads can run cabs just the same as full size heads. Wattage is of no relevance, impedance is what you need to look at but it wont be an issue as they are all designed to power 1x12 - 4x12s

I'd get yourself a decent guitar your happy with and use the rest on the amp.

Boss katanas are probably the best in the category the transtube sits in

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

My typical setup is a $1500 amp, $1000 pedalboard, and $250 guitar

Though, these days, I'm playing a couple Warmoth's I've built

Get the sweet amp. A small-dollar guitar can sound amazing through a great amp, but the reverse is not true (in my experience).

If you can find an old 5150, jump on it. Else, grab a 6505+ and a 2x12 closed-back cab

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    My typical setup is a $1500 amp, $1000 pedalboard, and $250 guitar

Though, these days, I'm playing a couple Warmoth's I've built

Get the sweet amp. A small-dollar guitar can sound amazing through a great amp, but the reverse is not true (in my experience).

If you can find an old 5150, jump on it. Else, grab a 6505+ and a 2x12 closed-back cab
    gotcha! as I believe that also! I have picked up older guitars and re-wired them with good pick-ups and it sounded pretty awesome through a great amp.
    what do you look for a used good thrash/speed metal guitar? whats the best wood?---neck,body,etc… I have always liked the neck thru jacksons and esp's!?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

The PRS MT15 can be had for $400-$500 used usually. $649 new. Good combination between a 5150 and recto sound IMO, and it's got 2 6L6 power tubes and 5 preamp tubes, so it's going to sound much louder @ 15 watts than many of the higher wattage amps that use EL84s.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchdood View Post
    gotcha! as I believe that also! I have picked up older guitars and re-wired them with good pick-ups and it sounded pretty awesome through a great amp.
    what do you look for a used good thrash/speed metal guitar? whats the best wood?---neck,body,etc… I have always liked the neck thru jacksons and esp's!?
    I'm all about that mahogany, but I think typical woods would be alder-ish. Mahogany is a bit too warm for thrash, but I find that that warmth plus running your amp's Treble high makes for a nice balance.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

If you have a Soloist you're set as far as guitars go. Get that 5150 2x12 combo next.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

If you get a combo over head/cab consider how much you will be carrying that thing around with you. The weight of a combo can make them very inconvenient if you start taking it to rehearsals all the time later down the line.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

A hidden gem in the cabinet world is a Harley Benton 2X12 Vintage. Check out the ratings on this cabinet. I have a Mesa 4X12, and actually like the HB better than the Mesa. For the price, you cannot beat the cabinet. It costs less than the 2 Vintage 30s that it contains.