Recommend me some Overdrives - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommend me some Overdrives

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

I've just been through a very similar hunt to you, and have come to this conclusion; Before going through a shitload of overdrives, first look into what type of overdrive circuit you're getting. 99% of overdrives out there are just Maxon OD808 clones, with varying tweaks and extra knobs, but in reality it's the same circuit doing the same thing.

I was in a position where I really wanted to get away from the "mid-boosting overdrive" sound, as it's just not always useful, unless you're wanting a surgically tight tone (which these days, I'm not).

I went down the whole "clean boost" path, where you're literally just adding volume to the front end of the amp. In theory I thought that's what I wanted but upon trying a couple it just isn't. It makes the transients of your pick attack really exaggerated and makes the amp "chirp" in a way that's really unmusical and unpleasant.

So I arrived at the "Klon" type of overdrives. I didn't give a fuck if it was anywhere near the real thing, I just knew that the Klon circuit (and those who copy it) tends to be a way more full type of tone than the bass-cutting 808. It retains the full spectrum of the guitar going through it, and gives you the option of colouring the tone or not.

I got an EHX Soul Food and couldn't be happier. It can be thick and dark if you want, I got a sick stoner tone from it, but the way I have it set up is that it's basically not altering the tone of the amp that much, it's just juicing it up and adding some grind/saturation, but flicking the pedal on/off makes barely any tonal difference.

It's also £69, vs the ridiculous prices these boutique builders ask for their copies.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I've just been through a very similar hunt to you, and have come to this conclusion; Before going through a shitload of overdrives, first look into what type of overdrive circuit you're getting. 99% of overdrives out there are just Maxon OD808 clones, with varying tweaks and extra knobs, but in reality it's the same circuit doing the same thing.

I was in a position where I really wanted to get away from the "mid-boosting overdrive" sound, as it's just not always useful, unless you're wanting a surgically tight tone (which these days, I'm not).

I went down the whole "clean boost" path, where you're literally just adding volume to the front end of the amp. In theory I thought that's what I wanted but upon trying a couple it just isn't. It makes the transients of your pick attack really exaggerated and makes the amp "chirp" in a way that's really unmusical and unpleasant.

So I arrived at the "Klon" type of overdrives. I didn't give a fuck if it was anywhere near the real thing, I just knew that the Klon circuit (and those who copy it) tends to be a way more full type of tone than the bass-cutting 808. It retains the full spectrum of the guitar going through it, and gives you the option of colouring the tone or not.

I got an EHX Soul Food and couldn't be happier. It can be thick and dark if you want, I got a sick stoner tone from it, but the way I have it set up is that it's basically not altering the tone of the amp that much, it's just juicing it up and adding some grind/saturation, but flicking the pedal on/off makes barely any tonal difference.

It's also £69, vs the ridiculous prices these boutique builders ask for their copies.
    dude, stack a ts808 variant in front of the klon clone. currently my go to

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge