Recommend me some Overdrives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me some Overdrives

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Recommend me some Overdrives

I've got an MXR Wylde Overdrive that has been one of the cornerstones in my rig forever, I love it but I'm wondering if what it does is totally appropriate for my current project. It makes my chugs really clear and pronounced and dare I say it, slightly Djenty, which may not be totally appropriate for a more trad Metal/Rock band with Black Metal influences.

So recommend me some overdrives that can help add saturation and clarity without getting overly djenty. I'm aiming for a thick, dark sound that still retains good clarity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender America Elite
    Rig: Fryette GP/DI

Throwing my vote behind the MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D. Pedal. Bump switch is awesome and the mid sweep is a great feature. Super versatile and I like it for the exact reason that it doesn't make my tone Djenty. Is able to nail a thick and crunchy tone and it helps that you can find them relatively cheaply (especially if you pick one up second-hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Forewarned View Post
    MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D.
    Good call, I was looking at those a while ago for something else I was doing, I'd forgotten that thay are quite tuneable. Tracking one on Ebay now to see of I can grab it cheap to try.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Are you using any gain with the OD, or just using it as a boost? If you're using it for gain, what about a Rat? Regular Rats have a bit of bass cut, but they're way thicker than something like a Boss SD-1.

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Forewarned View Post
    Throwing my vote behind the MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D. Pedal.
    +1
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Earthquaker Plumes
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Are you using any gain with the OD, or just using it as a boost? If you're using it for gain, what about a Rat? Regular Rats have a bit of bass cut, but they're way thicker than something like a Boss SD-1.
    I've been using it purely as a boost, I've messed around a few times with using some drive but not got any results that I liked. My guitar teacher of 20 years ago swore by Rats though, maybe it's time for me to give it a go.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    I've been using it purely as a boost, I've messed around a few times with using some drive but not got any results that I liked. My guitar teacher of 20 years ago swore by Rats though, maybe it's time for me to give it a go.
    Of course I say that and haven't actually tried mine as a clean boost. It's midrangey and has some bass cut, but yeah, it's way thicker than something like a Tubescreamer.

If you want a volume boost, don't try a regular Rat - they don't get much louder than unity. There are a lot of "improved clones" (like the Walrus Audio Iron Horse), and if you want a cheap way to test it out, the Mooer Black Secret is one of the closest clones of the modern standard Rat.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge