Suggestions for Single Speaker Marshall Combo to replace my DSL50 and Vintage Modern - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Single Speaker Marshall Combo to replace my DSL50 and Vintage Modern

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

But yeah, if you have a nice 112, JMP preamp andd whatever power amp suits your needs. You can even get one of the tiny pedal form factor power amps by EHX or whatever if it's only for home playing.

JMP Preamp is a classic for a wide range of Marshall tones, also been used by the Maiden guys live since for fucking ever, so if you like Maiden it's a good choice.

2u rack and a 112 cab is a better set up form factor wise than a 112 combo. 112 combos kind of put you in an awkward spot. 212 combos are cool if you know what you want and it works for you, but 112 is a little prohibitive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

Laney AORs have sort of a following in the doom/stoner rock scene since Matt Pike used them during his early days of Sleep, so the price on those is probably higher than they should be because of that.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    But yeah, if you have a nice 112, JMP preamp andd whatever power amp suits your needs. You can even get one of the tiny pedal form factor power amps by EHX or whatever if it's only for home playing.

JMP Preamp is a classic for a wide range of Marshall tones, also been used by the Maiden guys live since for fucking ever, so if you like Maiden it's a good choice.

2u rack and a 112 cab is a better set up form factor wise than a 112 combo. 112 combos kind of put you in an awkward spot. 212 combos are cool if you know what you want and it works for you, but 112 is a little prohibitive.
    I live about a 90 minute drive SW of Bozeman. I love Music Villa, but of course they don't stock Marshalls. I think the nearest Marshall dealer is Guitar Center in Spokane, WA (6 hrs drive), and they tend to have a pretty small selection.

Can you elaborate on what you find the limiting factors of a 1x12 combo?

I have been curious about the JMP-1, so that's definitely a route to consider. For starters, though, maybe I'd just get an EL34 Combo and run it into the effects return. I like the idea of a preamp like that for a headphone and recording unit as a well - does the JMP-1 have a cab simulation?

Also looking at the Carvin X1, which has a cab simulator and even a 1W out to go straight to a speaker cab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

$600 brand new with warranty.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    Marshall SC20C are starting to show up used for about a grand.
    This. 1000x this. These things sound GREAT.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This. 1000x this. These things sound GREAT.
    I'm really into the idea of the mini 800. I'm gonna keep an eye on them and when used prices go down a little more I'm probably gonna pounce.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    Marshall SC20C are starting to show up used for about a grand.
    I watched a few demo videos, and I'd like to change my answer

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    I'm really into the idea of the mini 800. I'm gonna keep an eye on them and when used prices go down a little more I'm probably gonna pounce.
    I miss my JCM1 - wish I'd had the head, it just didn't work with the 10" speaker.