Question on splitting a buffered signal

Thread: Question on splitting a buffered signal

Rig: 6505MH

Question on splitting a buffered signal

Let’s say you have a tuner pedal like the boss TU-3, it has two split outputs - one normal and one bypass. The pedal is buffered and not true bypass. Now, let’s say you have a different pedal like the polytune 3. You set it up to have a buffered output (not true bypass), and you split the buffered output signal using something like a hosa y cable. Is there any difference in that approach, or is one method “better” than the other?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Y cables will split your signal, like, in two. Your guitar signal voltage is the same, but the current is split in half, thus halving the power. I suspect the TU-3 is compensated for this loss? Maybe?

I wouldn't do it

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Y cables will split your signal, like, in two. Your guitar signal voltage is the same, but the current is split in half, thus halving the power. I suspect the TU-3 is compensated for this loss? Maybe?

I wouldn't do it
    From what I understand of the TU-3, Leon is correct. Use a proper buffered splitter so both signals are at unity.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

FWIW, I use this to split my signal: https://www.radialeng.com/product/twin-city

I actually have it in my rackrig right now. It's post preamps, which are running mono, before my power amp, a Mesa 2:90. So, if the gig calls for it, I can hit a switch, plug in the input to the second channel on the 2:90, and be running 180W