Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mad Hatter Terminator EVO

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bloody_Inferno 
#1 ·
I was really curious about this system once I saw it. I figured there was some snake oil involved and to a degree, there's a bit of it mixed in. The whole premise is that with these pots and the solder-less wiring, you're guitar will breath new life. I've got clips of the guitar before and after already recorded and once I get a little more time I'll edit them and post them up. There isn't a huge difference in the overall sound, aside from a little extra definition somewhere in the lower mids, it seems.

The biggest change is with the push/pull volume knob, which is what separates the system from the standard Terminator system. When lowering the volume, it can get a little muddy, but with the capacitor installed, it cuts the low end out. I'm finding it's also boosting the output considerably and does retain the overall tone at lower volume levels. However, if you're using a good amount of distortion/OD, it's not quite as dynamic as I'd like it to be.

This is a clip of the JEM on the neck pickup, the first time around the capacitor is not engaged. The volume is around 5. Once you get past 6-7, there's no real change in the sound at all, engaged or not.

Getting the wires into the terminals was a bit of a bitch and I suggest anyone doing it tins the wires first to stop them from splaying, especially when you have more than one wire going into a terminal. It's DEFINITELY going to make future pickup changes much faster as I'm an idiot with a solder iron.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got the Terminator EVO installed on my main RG and love it. The treble booster is mostly handy if you're using the volume knob as a dynamic/tonal device; ie lower volume for clean sounds.

I've got the Terminator TEN installed on another RG as well, also great. Basically makes your HSH config into a 2H 500k pot being switchable to 3S 200k split coils, which is really handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.