6505+ popped, turned itself off, wouldn't come back on for a few minutes. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6505+ popped, turned itself off, wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Some fuses aren't made from clear glass.

Also, the feedback squeal you're hearing is a microphonic preamp tube. That's an easy one. Order a new set and change them out

Would that cause the amp to shut off though?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

This is just a thought -

Doesn't the 6505+ have a heat fail system? It shuts off when too much heat is generated?

Can a shit tube cause the amp to heat up?
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

This I don't know. I HOPE that's the case. For what it's worth, I've been slamming the front end of this amp with LOTS of gain over the last two years, playing loud when I do play, so maybe the tubes are already worn out? I thought they were supposed to last a few years. I've used this amp with everything from a Boss SD-1 to an Eyemaster. I don't know if that makes the amp work harder or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Yeah, replace those tubes

If you can, take it to a local amp tech you trust (ask around your local musicians community), and tell them the tubes are ancient, and all your other issues with it, just in case it's something else! There are other components that could cause similar issues, which, if you just toss in new tubes, it could pop some of the new tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Yeah, replace those tubes

If you can, take it to a local amp tech you trust (ask around your local musicians community), and tell them the tubes are ancient, and all your other issues with it, just in case it's something else! There are other components that could cause similar issues, which, if you just toss in new tubes, it could pop some of the new tubes.

Already been on the phone with a local shop. They have a guy who repairs amps, so I'll try that. I very much appreciate the help! Thank you everyone!

UPDATE!!! (Mods feel free to edit the title if need be)

Amp came in and he found no loose solder joints and said the tubes were still good. He said that there was some tension on the circuit board causing it to lose power. I've never heard of this before. He said he played it for some time to get it to happen after he put everything back in and played fine. Have you all ever heard of anything like this? He asked if it had been serviced before and I told him that I haven't, I bought it from a user and he said that either way it's working fine now.