6505+ popped, turned itself off, wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6505+ popped, turned itself off, wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.

6505+ popped, turned itself off, wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.

Title pretty much says it all. What got me was I pulled the main fuse out of the back and it's grayed out, so I would think the amp wouldn't even be able to come back on. Checked the tubes, they're all glowing a small amount orange. No volume loss or drop, no change in tone before it turned off and it sounds like it did before it turned off which is pretty good. Tubes are a couple years old.
    Last edited by CosmicOceanHorror; 02-20-2020 at 08:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

1) Do you have a multimeter to check the fuse?

2) How many hours are you putting on the tubes? If you only play an hour or two a week, tubes might last a couple years no problem. If you're putting an hour or two a day on them, maybe power tubes will last 6~8 months. It'd be a safe bet to change them out!

3) That's a weird problem, but sounds heat related?

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Is it the head or combo version? I had a 6505+ combo where the rectifier diode failed, which is apparently a very common problem in those. Not sure if it can cause the issue you describe, though.

I guess since it actually turns off it probably isn't the diode, mine ran just fine - it just didn't make any sound.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I don’t have a multimeter, no. I play fairly sparingly compared to most people, sometimes not even all month. I have noticed that my amp has been squealing a bit lately that wasn’t doing it before. Sounds like feedback but t seems like it would do that all the time, surely. I just don’t know why the fuse would be grayed out but still able to turn it back on after a few minutes. Tubes seem fine, again. None glowing more than the rest.

Also, it’s the head version.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Some fuses aren't made from clear glass.

Also, the feedback squeal you're hearing is a microphonic preamp tube. That's an easy one. Order a new set and change them out

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

At the risk of stating the obvious here, did you replace said fuse?

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I dont know about the full size head but the mini would shut down if it was getting too hot, they had issue with them doing that even when it wasnt that bad and Peavey recalled them and fixed it. Maybe you are seeing something similar?
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action