NGD of Various Goodness (Kemper, ART) - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NGD of Various Goodness (Kemper, ART)

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

The only guitar within reach of your kid is the Suhr? I feel like you need a Squire on a stand as the sacrificial guitar.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    The only guitar within reach of your kid is the Suhr? I feel like you need a Squire on a stand as the sacrificial guitar.
    The one in the stand just so happens to be whichever I'm playing the most at the time. Plus, they're all that expensive. I guess the cheapest is the ESP?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I had an SLA before and I liked it - it's really transparent. The Fractal power amp simulation is so good, I wanted something reasonably inexpensive yet still cool to run into a cab if/when I feel frisky. (That way I can just grab the rack and bring it to wherever I'm jamming with friends, etc.)

My master plan is to figure out a clean way to cable all three sources (KPA, 6505, AxeFx) to the same cab and just switch it to whichever I'm using if I feel like it. It's on my to-do list, I assume there's probably some kind of clever switcher out there. If I had a bigger office I'd put a 4x12 on each side, but the side you can't see in the above pic has windows on it. And a pack & play for my son that I totally rolled out of the way for the pics.
    Yeah, it's really good for passive monitors. Super flat. I like the lack of options, since power amps (consumer or studio) for unpowered speakers often have EQ options, you usually end up running bass boost or something, which affects decisions. It's very neutral. I like the additional faceplate you can install over the knobs, but that only works if you have a master volume somewhere before it, doesn't work that well for powering a cab.

If you are using the banana plug outs on the back and have to make your own cables or convert or whatever get these. https://sewelldirect.com/products/deadbolt-banana-plugs I only see the back of my unit when I am fucking around back there, so I've seen it a grand total of 2-3 times, but IIRC the only outs are banana plugs.

BTW, if you aren't using the other channel on that 20/20, as in having the volume at zero and not plugged into anything, you are supposed to run the presence maxed. You may have already known that, or you may be using the second one at very low volume (couldn't tell from the picture). I don't remember the full "Mesa Tone Lecture" reason why. But when you invariably sell the 20/20 to buy a 2:90, every buyer is going to ask you "did you run the presence maxed on any unused channels at all times during your tenure of ownership for this reason?" first thing. And you definitely want to be able to respond, "Yes you fool, I'm not a Mesa novice" instead of "Why do you have to do that".

If one of the channels is unused with the volume all the way down and the presence isn't maxed, certain hardline segments of the Mesa fanbase will consider your power amp "instantly ruined". I'm not actually sure what happens if you don't use one of the channels on a Mesa power amp without the presence maxed, but from what I've been told it's mega dire. A portal to hell will open or something.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

How does that lamp sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    I bet the way it reveals nuances of tone is quite......illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    It has unparalleled brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Yeah, it's really good for passive monitors. Super flat. I like the lack of options, since power amps (consumer or studio) for unpowered speakers often have EQ options, you usually end up running bass boost or something, which affects decisions. It's very neutral. I like the additional faceplate you can install over the knobs, but that only works if you have a master volume somewhere before it, doesn't work that well for powering a cab.
    The extra faceplate is great, I wish all of my gear had it. I like the SLA because it's really flat/transparent. I've had an Axe-Fx since the early days and I really like the way their power amps sound. I'm reasonably sure I could pick a Fractal out of an audio-lineup of a dozen different amps. Not because it doesn't sound like a Bogner or whatever or isn't tonally accurate - I'm just really used to the way the FAS stuff sounds and I like it.

BTW, if you aren't using the other channel on that 20/20, as in having the volume at zero and not plugged into anything, you are supposed to run the presence maxed. You may have already known that, or you may be using the second one at very low volume (couldn't tell from the picture). I don't remember the full "Mesa Tone Lecture" reason why. But when you invariably sell the 20/20 to buy a 2:90, every buyer is going to ask you "did you run the presence maxed on any unused channels at all times during your tenure of ownership for this reason?" first thing. And you definitely want to be able to respond, "Yes you fool, I'm not a Mesa novice" instead of "Why do you have to do that".
    I'm not using it for anything just yet so it's a moot point, but I believe all the knobs are in the "just moved from one rack to another" position.

If one of the channels is unused with the volume all the way down and the presence isn't maxed, certain hardline segments of the Mesa fanbase will consider your power amp "instantly ruined". I'm not actually sure what happens if you don't use one of the channels on a Mesa power amp without the presence maxed, but from what I've been told it's mega dire. A portal to hell will open or something.
    Portals to hell are pretty metal so perhaps I'll leave it where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The extra faceplate is great, I wish all of my gear had it. I like the SLA because it's really flat/transparent. I've had an Axe-Fx since the early days and I really like the way their power amps sound. I'm reasonably sure I could pick a Fractal out of an audio-lineup of a dozen different amps. Not because it doesn't sound like a Bogner or whatever or isn't tonally accurate - I'm just really used to the way the FAS stuff sounds and I like it.
    The ART stuff is all great. They are like, the Peavey of recording rack stuff. More things should have the pop out/pop in knobs, and the construction quality/metal faceplates and chassis are all solid as fuck. Also, the fact that you can actually use the full sweep of the volume controls is awesome. The "linear" amplifier in the name does not lie. On pretty much any tube power amp you are going to have the constant struggle of keeping the volume exactly between 8/27ths and 1/3rd of the way up, which is the optimal, extremely specific, position.

I have one of their Pro Channel II units, and I don't know if you are going direct or not for all your recording needs, which would make it less useful. But you get an Preamp, an EQ, and some Compressor capabilities for like $300-400. A lot of people turn their noses up on shit like that because it's "not a Neve", but not everybody wants to spend $1k+ on every rack unit.