Attenuators - what's new and current? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators - what's new and current?

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I like the Captor the most as far as the smaller units go. If you want something non-powered that doesn't say Bugera on it, the Jet City Jettenuator is a little more tolerable.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    I'd try that if I could find a place that sells them. There are only two on Reverb (both in another country) and none on eBay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

In terms of build quality, the Rivera is obviously tops. Rivera makes the nicest amps in the business.

They all do pretty much the same thing though.

It's a big price range, you have like "Just buying loads yourself" on the low end and "getting the BOSS Waza craft unit" on the high end.

There are two types, resistive and reactive, the reactive ones are going to be the higher priced ones.

As far as the resistive loads go, they all do the exact same thing, you can just buy the loads yourself for a fraction of the price. Most people don't though, for long term use, because resistive loads output a lot of heat, so they are hazardous in that way.

The nicer resistive ones are going to have better heat dissipation and form factor and shit and maybe some additional features, but functionally, they do the exact same thing as just buying the resistors yourself.

As far as reactive loads go...........opinions range there. Some people think they are just resistive loads with additional snake oil, some swear by them. Depends on the unit.

I say just get the cheapest one that is reasonably safe. If you don't want one in an ugly box that sits on top of an amp though, you have to either build one yourself or get one of the less common, more expensive units not in that form factor.

The actual resistors, which is the core of the attenuator, are pretty much going to be the same thing on every unit. Amp repair shops just buy those in bulk if they need to load amps on the work bench. I have a few of them I've used once or twice. You are right in that the premiums you pay aren't for better attentuation, they are for additional features.

The #1 concern for buying an attenuator IMO is actually safety. You can just get the loads yourself for a fraction of the price, but since they do generate heat, most people, myself included, find it wiser to go for a reputable pre made unit. That's also why the "ugly box on top of your amp" form factor is more prevalent. As well as the "why is this ugly box sitting on bizarrely large feet" thing most have so they can get airflow under the unit. It's way cheaper to dissipate heat that way. The rack mount form factor ones need all kinds of extra shit.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'd try that if I could find a place that sells them. There are only two on Reverb (both in another country) and none on eBay.
    Those are made in China. THD is probably the cheapest you want to go that is built someplace with standards.

The lower priced units like that are mostly lower priced because the areas they cut corners on are safety.

The THD stuff is all made in the US.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Suhr has one as well. For what you want get the two notes and be done with it.

There is the universal audio ox amp as well but for that money I'd just get a two notes studio.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Old, but I tried one once, and it's solid. Radial makes cool stuff:
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/headload

Way simpler thing, might be cool on the 25% setting:
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/headload-prodigy

Or, the Two Notes Reload, probably:
    https://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-reload

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent