Attenuators - what's new and current? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators - what's new and current?

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I like the Captor the most as far as the smaller units go. If you want something non-powered that doesn't say Bugera on it, the Jet City Jettenuator is a little more tolerable.
    The Captor is a killer device for recording, but the attenuator on it significantly cuts mids in ways you may not like.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I like the Captor the most as far as the smaller units go. If you want something non-powered that doesn't say Bugera on it, the Jet City Jettenuator is a little more tolerable.
    That attitude is so 2008.

Seriously. Behringer is now a respectable brand. When the modular synth and euro rack shit got big they fucking cleaned up.

If you had told anyone in 2008 that people would hate Behringer for offering high quality products at a substantially cheaper price than the competition you would have been laughed off. But lo and behold.....

I don't know if general awareness has made it to the guitar world yet, but in the synth world it's a 50/50 thing, half of the people love them for offering great products at a reasonable price, and half of the people fucking hate them for offering high quality "clones" of other modules.

Behringer Plans 40 Eurorack Modules In The Next 2 Years, Priced at $49-99 – Synthtopia

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/16/...th-clone-namm/

It's hilarious because the detractors can't even attack them for having low sound quality. Modular synthesis is all about manipulating sine waves.

You can't be like, "This more expensive unit generates a more premium sine wave than the Behringer".

It's only a matter of time before they try to break into the "Serious guitar gear" world again. Everyone mocked them for the Bugera stuff and were like "Lol, look at this shit company trying to act all serious". And when modular synths got big Behringer fucked literally everyone directly in the face.

So now, at least as far as synths go, all the people that were like, "LOL, look at these fools floundering" are now more like, "I'm groveling here Behringer, please stop dominating the market with reasonable quality products at low prices".

The general consensus is their engineering team is top notch these days, as well as fucking relentless with development schedules. A lot of people bitch because, "They are clones of other designs", but really, most of the boutique world for pedals/amps/studio gear is clones of other designs. Every "respectable" company under the sun has Neve clones, and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Klon Centaur clone.

Their new line of mixers is also pretty highly regarded, it's only a matter of time until they try again in the stringed instrument realm.

Time to corner the market on Bugera Trirec Infinium 100W 3-Channel Valve Amp Heads before the market blows up!

Buy! Buy! Buy!
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Just throwing this out there, if you want to play an amp but want to play it late at night, the Mark V25/35 and the JP2C sound incredible at low volumes. No attenuator needed.

ME: LTD EC 1000
    Rig: EVH 5150 III EL34 50watt

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    Time to corner the market on Bugera Trirec Infinium 100W 3-Channel Valve Amp Heads before the market blows up!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Already going up because they have not been made in a few years.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Just throwing this out there, if you want to play an amp but want to play it late at night, the Mark V25/35 and the JP2C sound incredible at low volumes. No attenuator needed.
    Naw, I want to use the 6505. It sounds decent enough at low volumes (resonance control FTW) but there's that little gap between kinda-on and actually-on that all tube amps have. My son's bedroom is across the hall from my office, so it's juuuust loud enough that I don't want to use it with him sleeping.

I was just hoping that something new and exciting may have come along since the old days of THD, but since I already have two modelers (and am putting an FM3 on the Peavey) I guess I'll just wait and let the Fractal attenuate it.

I do want a JP2C anyway though.

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    It's a great option. I recently sold mine, within the last month. Incredibly simple and works great. I only sold it because I have the Fryette Power Station 2, so it was redundant.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Last I followed this seriously, the Riviera was supposed to be the best out there, if you didn't care about things like speaker emulation and IR loading and FX loops and the ability to boost as well as attenuate and all that extra jazz, and just wanted to take a tube amp and turn it down while still warming up the power amp tubes.

I'd actually sort of planned to eventually grab one to replace my Hot Plate, but honestly my Mark V sounds better at low volumes with no attenuator than at any combo of light to heavy attenuation at progressively louder volumes, so I haven't been using one.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace