Attenuators - what's new and current?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators - what's new and current?

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Attenuators - what's new and current?

What's out there other than a THD hot plate?

Everything these days seems to have a zillion other bells and whistles packed on to it, like Dis and cabs sims and whatnot. Is THD still the standard for plain old attenuators?

I see that Two Notes has the Captor, and since everyone else loves their stuff I figured I might give that one a shot. The only downside is that it requires power, which the THD doesn't. Bugera also has one that (surprisingly) seems to get great reviews everywhere and is only ~$100, but I can't bring myself to plug anything I care about into something that says Bugera on it...

What else should I be looking into?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Something like this, reactive load and simple, they also have versions with more features but this is the basic one.

Rivera Mini RockRec Load Box/Speaker Emulation

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

The current gold standards are the Fryette Power Station ($699) and that Boss Waza Tube thing ($1300), then the Rivera in a close-ish third ($550).

Those three seem to get the best ratings for getting the real character of the amp at a lower volume. Most other attenuators (THD included) effect the sound in one way or another, it's a matter of how much they do to compensate. I've always like the amount of options they give you on the Weber stuff at any price point, so the fact they're reasonably cheap is nice.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn/Hiwatt

I have limited experience with attenuators, but I did a dick load of research and got this:

It's stupidly expensive and has a bunch of features I'll never use, but it's fucking awesome and means I can burn through the valves in my 150watt sunn head by playing it wide open at ungodly hours at night (about 10pm for me ).

Best thing I've bought in ages.

You'd think I was getting paid by Roland by how much I bang on about this thing.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    that color was definitely decided by committee
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

I'm using the Fryette Power Station 2. It's both a Power Amp, and an Attenuator in one.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The current gold standards are the Fryette Power Station ($699) and that Boss Waza Tube thing ($1300), then the Rivera in a close-ish third ($550).

Those three seem to get the best ratings for getting the real character of the amp at a lower volume. Most other attenuators (THD included) effect the sound in one way or another, it's a matter of how much they do to compensate. I've always like the amount of options they give you on the Weber stuff at any price point, so the fact they're reasonably cheap is nice.
    I'm not super concerned about the tone loss, it's mostly that I want to be able to use my amp at night once in a while.

My problem with all the other shit listed is that they all have a zillion extra things thrown in. "Attenuates! DI! Cab emulator! Automatically pirates djent plugins for you!". I don't want any of that shit, I just basically want an 8 Ohm THD that isn't a big ugly anodized lump on top of my amp.