Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork?

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

I have one and IMO, it's pretty fine until 2 whole steps down. You need good tension on your strings you make it work properly. You also need to play loud or with headphones, 'cause otherwise, you'll hear the acoustic sound of your guitar over it and that's pretty annoying.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    The Variax IS the only one of those detuners I've heard that actually sounds pretty good. It even sounds good detuning a ridiculous amount. The first time I heard Twelve Foot Ninja, I thought the guitarist was using an 8 string guitar. Turns out he uses a 6 string in Drop D and just uses the Variax to change the tuning, oftentimes multiple times within the same song.
    Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    I have one and IMO, it's pretty fine until 2 whole steps down. You need good tension on your strings you make it work properly. You also need to play loud or with headphones, 'cause otherwise, you'll hear the acoustic sound of your guitar over it and that's pretty annoying.
    Yeah, I've got one too and the mismatch doesn't really bother me unless I'm playing leads but I do that in standard tuning anyway. I've got an 7-string and 8-string patch, both sounds pretty decent even with the ungodly light strings I use; in some ways the Variax can be superior to 7s and 8s because you won't sound "floppy" as long as your string tension is good, so if you sound tight in E standard, you'll sound tight in F# standard too. I'd imagine the Twelve Foot Ninja guy sounds especially good because the Shuriken is baritone, so extra un-floppy in all tunings.

Also, keep in mind OP was considering pedal detuners, so sympathetic guitar tuning noise was always going to be an issue. FWIW, I've got a Tyler Variax but I had a Variax 300 that IMO sounded just as good and only costed me $250 shipped along with HSC.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I keep most of my guitars in different tunings. They're fussier about going back and forth than my bass is, so the bass I just retune/detune when I record it. I've never liked the sound of detune effects, it's always super obvious to my ear.

[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/images/smilies/2pennies.gif[/IMG]
    All of this

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I don't like them on a conceptual level or a practical level. I find them inauthentic on a conceptual level, as pretentious as that sounds.

I mean, it sounds ridiculous, and everyone has a different area where they draw "THE LINE" in terms of what they consider authentic performance and what they consider objectionably fake. You know, auto tune type debates and what not. In terms of pitch shifting, octave based ones are one thing, because that's just doubling or halving frequencies. Intelligent harmonizers are more objectionable, though I guess I can see using them to replicate something on a record. But playing one thing and then having it altered and then not mixing it with an original signal is just over the line to me. "Poser shit" if you will.

Part of it is just that, considering the fact that it's much easier and more satisfying to just tune a guitar to the tuning you want, as well as more gratifying.

Of course you know, for any person in music, their opinions on what is "over the line" in terms of authenticity is usually intensely hypocritical, because there are so many ways to manipulate signals it's like, "You are EQing, and chorusing, and exciting, and this and that but you draw the line at pitch shifting?". Pot calling the kettle black and all that.

I don't like any pitch based effects. Overtone/harmonic/subharmonic generators are one thing, but pitch based effects like intelligent harmonizers or octavers have never gel'd with me.

Honestly, my opinion would be a lot different if it was an effect that used a lot of fancy engineering to replicate the sound of something that is difficult to bring to life on a practical level. But in this case it's like, it's easier to just do the authentic thing, why the fuck would you want one of those?

ME: Snakebyte baritone
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I keep most of my guitars in different tunings. They're fussier about going back and forth than my bass is, so the bass I just retune/detune when I record it. I've never liked the sound of detune effects, it's always super obvious to my ear.
    This for me as well. Plus, I like a lot of different guitars and different tunings, just part of the "fun factor" for me. With that said, I don't play out, I'm not in a band and probably won't be. If I did I would probably do things quite differently.

ME: LTD EC 1000
    Rig: EVH 5150 III EL34 50watt

The Morpheus is garbage from what I hear and its not surprising the product did not take off. For what it is, the digitech drop is pretty decent. I only have 2 guitars atm (one hard tail and one floyd) both tuned to standard so I use the fuck out of it. I do (occasionally) go 2 steps down but mainly go a half step or to D because thats just the stuff that I play. I do notice a SMALL bit of latency going down 2 steps but its acceptable for me anyway. I really dont notice any digital anomalies though. The thing I do notice though is it slightly darkens your tone a little. Is it the be all end all? No but for my situation, I love it. If I were to seriously record in a lower tuning though, I would set up my guitar to do so.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Maybe keep the guitars in the middle and use the effect to go either direction? say like keep the 6 strings in D and use the pedal to reach down to C or up to E.
    The Drop doesn't have an Up function like the Whammy DT so it's not feasible with the Drop.

There are 2 nifty features on the Drop that most don't talk about. The Dry+Octave down is a simplified OC2 feature, which can be fun if you wanna get your Snarky Puppy on. And the Momentary switch that turns the drop into a pitch down mini whammy pedal. Even if there are better options to such effects on other units, they're fun features to have here.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I used the Pitchfork to drop down a half-step when practicing cover tunes, as it seemed ~20% of the songs my last band covered were in Eb. It worked very well for that, and bonus, with an expression pedal, it does the whammy thing quite well, too.