Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork?

Mark Rizzo (Monster player) uses the Digitech pedal Live with Soulfly and I assume also on Cavalera brothers tours.

min 13.40 +/-

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Mark Rizzo (Monster player) uses the Digitech pedal Live with Soulfly and I assume also on Cavalera brothers tours.

min 13.40 +/-

Max's prototype Reaper ESP is sweet - wanted to check one out for years now. Listening to him clank his rings against the guitar noids me out though... all I hear is >chip< >scratch< >chip<...

Dig that they use the drop and don't seem to have any issues. Thanks for the link.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Depends what you want to do with it. I use a Whammy DT live to alter tunings from E down to D, C & B, there is some slight change in tone when you get -5 but an audience is really not going to spot it. I've also used the detune in the Kemper, I'd say the Digitech is fractionally better but then it is a unit that dedicates its whole processing power to just that one thing.

I've also used it to create guitar backing tracks for in-ear playback systems, it works but is not something that I'd want publically released.

Ultimately, it's a tool like anything else and you have to weigh up practicality against purism.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    But in this case it's like, it's easier to just do the authentic thing, why the fuck would you want one of those?
    I’ll answer that one. I went down the « different guitar for different tuning » road and just got tired of it. At one point, it was the unique reason to buy more guitars, which was, in my own specific case, ridiculous. I got tired of the need for specific strings for specific scale with specific pickups, etc. You get the idea. I realized I only like playing with a specific string gauge, in standard Eb and that’s it. And not having 7 different guitars that only came out if the case once a month to play that song in C.

These days, I only use the Drop once in a while without the need for anything else. So, YMMV.

... and I don’t feel inauthentic for a second.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I keep most of my guitars in different tunings. They're fussier about going back and forth than my bass is, so the bass I just retune/detune when I record it. I've never liked the sound of detune effects, it's always super obvious to my ear.

This is what I would've posted on this thread, nearly word-for-word. More guitars = more options. It's also nice to have a hard-tail guitar or two lying around so you can mess with different tunings on the fly. The "Toss a Coin to your Witcher" cover video I did recently had a guitar in dropped A#, because I could switch to it on the fly easily

Decided to get a Drop, and sold the Jackson Soloist finally so have the funds to cover it. But, when I didn't have the cash, I was seeing 'em for $75-100 (not that I couldn't afford $75, but I was busy buying Elysian pickups first... ha!) Now, I'm assuming because of the pandemic, people are asking $150-350 for 'em (who pays $300+ for one pedal? that only does one thing? Chris?) When you look at eBay's sold listings there are still a lot that have gone in the $100-ish range, but so far all my offers have fallen on deaf ears.

If anyone sees a deal on one, link me please.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Buy more guitars.
    Have them setup for different tunings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Buy more guitars.
    Have them setup for different tunings.
    I already have 8 (well 7 and 1 bass) - . Since I try to record with 2 guitars, it's a PITA to change tunings all the time if I want to go from E standard to D or Eb. And, trying to change tunings on my FR equipped S540 is a drag. So, having the Drop and just keeping everything in E (or B for my 7s) is appealing and I have the extra cash to spend now.

I would love to have a Solar though... but there are reasons why I don't pull that trigger (1. can't bring myself to buy one without playing it first. 2. don't absolutely love any of the current color/option choices they have at the moment). I wanted this blue metallic one bigtime, but they never re-released it. https://www.gearnews.com/a-splash-of...hes-for-a2-6c/

Wonder if they had a quality control issue with this run or they just weren't very popular... either way, I'm sure Ola has a reason for not continuing with them.