Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork?

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Detune 'em all or buy a Drop/Morpheus/Pitchfork?

I tuned my new-to-me KM6 to D standard and decided that might be fun to have some of my guitars in D and some in E (yeah, I actually went back to tuning to E standard...) anyway, I can't decide if it's easier to tune all my 6s and my bass to D and my 7s to C and tune back to E/B when i want to do that sort of thing or just buy one of the pedals to drop a half and/or whole step from time to time. Wish I could just do that with my Helix, but alas, that's not meant to be...

I found this old thread: Best Detune/Drop Pedal

Then looked up the Morpheus and found this uber-helpful review on Amazon:

近藤信吾
    4.0 out of 5 stars まさに画期的
    Reviewed in Japan on March 4, 2013
    Verified Purchase
    ギターの本数がいらず、ペダルひとつでキーダウン。まさに画期的です。
    ギター一本で済むし持ち物減らすことが出来て満足です。
    ギター買うよりは安いけどエフェクターにしては、ちょっと割高かなそれで星1個マイナスです。

Seriously though, it only gets 2 out of 5 stars aggregated, so it's not filling me with warm and fuzzies despite Cassidy's endorsement. (where's that guy been, anyway?)

But, the Morpheus doesn't seem to be in production anymore, which leads me back to the Drop, which gets much better online reviews.

Who has experience with any of these things? Pluses/minuses? Or, should I just detune everything and move on?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

I'm assuming you were being sarcastic when you said "uber-helpful" since it's in Japanese and you can't read it. Here's what it says:

"I don't need a ton of guitars, so I can get rid of them with a single pedal. It really is revolutionary. I only need one guitar now and I was able to reduce how much gear I own, so I'm satisfied. It's cheaper than buying a guitar, but it is kind of expensive for an effect, so I took off one star."

(And his title was "Truly revolutionary")

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

I haven't tried the Morpheus, but used the Drop feature on my Whammy DT, where the Drop was spawned from. The Drop works fine on the first 2 semitones. From the 3rd onward there's some subtle changes in your tone, and anything lower, the latency and digital glitches become apparent.

For the sake of convenience, it's a nifty tool to have, especially for touring. Recording on the other hand, I personally wouldn't use it and opt to detune a guitar instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Scott Ian V
    Rig: HX Stomp/Headrush FRFR112

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    I haven't tried the Morpheus, but used the Drop feature on my Whammy DT, where the Drop was spawned from. The Drop works fine on the first 2 semitones. From the 3rd onward there's some subtle changes in your tone, and anything lower, the latency and digital glitches become apparent.

For the sake of convenience, it's a nifty tool to have, especially for touring. Recording on the other hand, I personally wouldn't use it and opt to detune a guitar instead.
    ^^^ not the only person I've heard talk about this issue with using more than 2 semitones.

Maybe keep the guitars in the middle and use the effect to go either direction? say like keep the 6 strings in D and use the pedal to reach down to C or up to E.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I keep most of my guitars in different tunings. They're fussier about going back and forth than my bass is, so the bass I just retune/detune when I record it. I've never liked the sound of detune effects, it's always super obvious to my ear.

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I'm assuming you were being sarcastic when you said "uber-helpful" since it's in Japanese and you can't read it. Here's what it says:

"I don't need a ton of guitars, so I can get rid of them with a single pedal. It really is revolutionary. I only need one guitar now and I was able to reduce how much gear I own, so I'm satisfied. It's cheaper than buying a guitar, but it is kind of expensive for an effect, so I took off one star."

(And his title was "Truly revolutionary")
    Totally sarcastic. Found it funny that my Amazon page decided to spotlight a review in another language. Thanks for the translation!

I’ve also heard the “dont drop more than a whole step” thing which is what’s always made me hesitate.

Maybe I’ll just retune em all and see how that goes, since it costs nothing but time (and frustration with the Floyd...).

Sell em all and get a Variax.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Sell em all and get a Variax.
    The Variax IS the only one of those detuners I've heard that actually sounds pretty good. It even sounds good detuning a ridiculous amount. The first time I heard Twelve Foot Ninja, I thought the guitarist was using an 8 string guitar. Turns out he uses a 6 string in Drop D and just uses the Variax to change the tuning, oftentimes multiple times within the same song.