NPD: Not just another Drive/Fuzz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NPD: Not just another Drive/Fuzz

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

NPD: Not just another Drive/Fuzz

Got this whilst trying out the new Free The Tone Direct Volume pedal. While the latter is coming, well, later down the line, this thread is about the former.

And obligatory crappy IG clip.

This monstrosity is a collaboration between Third Man Records (namely Jack White) and Gamechager Audio's Plasma. And just to take a few steps back for those unaware: the original Plasma's gimmick was to produce drive by using continuous high voltage discharges in a xenon filled tube then converted to analog audio. There's even a noise gate in this pedal. So an over glorified dist/fuzz/bitcrush pedal. And this version THEN put Jack White's extra tweaks, ostensibly making this a quasi signature pedal.

As impressive as the original was, I thought the Plasma was a little too gimmicky, even if the chaotic capsule looked cool. But all the stuff Jack White added on this version suddenly sealed the deal for me. There's added multiple Octaver style circuits (5 styles and 1 boost) and the best thing about it is that it can be toggled either via latch or momentary. The blend control has been removed, while a dealbreaker for some, I guess for me in this case, if I'm going full fuzz and filth I may as well go all the way. Say what you will about Jack White, the guy knows his weird ass sounds and how to expand on them.

Pretty much another go to post-production tool. Definitely fun to put the bass and synths through this, and really itching to get that my incoming fretless RG and jam that through this pedal.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

Man, that was fucking cool as hell. I'm going to add that to the list of dirt pedals I don't need after the Life Pedal. Sorta reminded me of a CKY/MSI mix in your clip (I mean that is a positive way )

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

Fuzz .

I've been experimenting with my digital fuzz options, and I think I'm just going to make a preset built around various fuzz and distortion options.

Gonna go do that now, actually .

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RG752AHM
    MA: Martin
    Rig: 6505+

That sound clip reminds me of the music in Quake

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

That pedal really works great with that level's music.

Quote Originally Posted by dbwells View Post
    Here's the original track if you're unfamiliar:

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Cheers gents.

Quote Originally Posted by dbwells View Post
    Funny I was going through the Quake OST with this pedal in mind. That soundtrack has aged well, Trent Reznor did such a great job.

And I've also been playing Doom 2016 a fair bit lately as well and getting inspired from Mick Gordon's music too.

ME: Ibanez RG752AHM
    MA: Martin
    Rig: 6505+

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Cheers gents.

Funny I was going through the Quake OST with this pedal in mind. That soundtrack has aged well, Trent Reznor did such a great job.

And I've also been playing Doom 2016 a fair bit lately as well and getting inspired from Mick Gordon's music too.
    I need to build me a gaming PC again or upgrade the one I have at least. I want to check out Doom Eternal when that comes out. Plus I've missed out on the last few assassins creed games.

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

I don't usually like fuzz but that sounds super synthy and fun. How is it on bass?
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion