Shittiest hidden/incidental expoense in guitar playing/music/studio stuff? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Shittiest incidental expense?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cabling.

2 8.70%
  • Serious, fuck cabling.

7 30.43%
  • Maintenance (Paying a tech to do something)

5 21.74%
  • Wiring (Solder, Pots, Caps, Resistors, etc)

1 4.35%
  • Cases/Enclosures

0 0%
  • Supplemental tech (Computers and Computer parts)

1 4.35%
  • Other

1 4.35%
  • Noodles

6 26.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shittiest hidden/incidental expoense in guitar playing/music/studio stuff?

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

It's fascinating to me how it doesn't seem to matter how many cables I buy, I always need a few more. And the cables are always slightly too short, or absurdly too long.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    It's fascinating to me how it doesn't seem to matter how many cables I buy, I always need a few more. And the cables are always slightly too short, or absurdly too long.
    Also true. I keep saying that one of these days I'll just drop a mint on George L stuff and make my own, but I know that as soon as I do I'll find some reason to move everything around so they're all the wrong length again.

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    It's definitely cabling, all the other stuff you can take some joy in spending money on. Cabling is actively malevolent. You can't achieve the perfect cabling setup, there are always going to be at least three problems. Due to the highly contextual nature, and the fact that even if you are close, you are going to change something and need a new plan and new cables.

I actually thought I had finally outsmarted the cables by going with the, "Straight jacks are useless, I'm only getting right angle to right angle cables from now on." And then of course I ended up getting a stompbox with the jacks on the top when all the rest of mine have them on the side, as well as an amp with FX loop jacks so close together right angles didn't work.

Also, "I don't want ugly excess cables from my board to my head, I'm going to get 3-5 ft cables that are just the right length and park my board right in front of my cab for home use" is just playing with fire. Because they are going to be at least a few inches short. Even if they are just the right length, you'll find out you should have remembered to get them longer so you can pull the board out without unplugging everything.

You are also going to have to find someplace to put the cables you no longer use because they are redundant or not right for your current set up.
    And all that bullshit is why I said fuck it and went back to going straight into my amp.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET

Unless you know how to level frets and shit the slightest dent or hack will cost a lot to get fixed because noone wanna bend or vibrato over a something that catches your string.

I've always been super careful with my guitars except THIS ONE TIME which ruined frets on 3 guitars generating a cost of over $1000 to fix

This video is TAKE TWO so I already did this, and what's missing in the video is when I drop all guitars straight on the floor around me

But no normal person would ever do what I did above, so not sure if it really counts as a hidden expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Unless you know how to level frets and shit the slightest dent or hack will cost a lot to get fixed because noone wanna bend or vibrato over a something that catches your string.

I've always been super careful with my guitars except THIS ONE TIME which ruined frets on 3 guitars generating a cost of over $1000 to fix

This video is TAKE TWO so I already did this, and what's missing in the video is when I drop all guitars straight on the floor around me
    My Les Paul has some dead frets. I've watched some Stewmac videos about it, but it so much easier to prebend the fret before it and

I dont understand your post

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I dont understand your post
    I've worn out some of the frets on my Les Paul, and instead of getting it fixed I bend the next fret up a half step before I play it because I'm too cheap to get my frets fixed.