Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

If you don't plan on ever being in another band again, why are you against modelers? I mean, if you just love tube amps and want one really bad, that's one thing, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. If you just want something that sounds good and isn't too loud... then get a modeler (cuz tube amps are REALLY REALLY loud, even the small ones).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Rig: 6505MH

I didn’t say I was against modelers? I’m open to them in this situation?

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by drache713 View Post
    I didn’t say I was against modelers? I’m open to them in this situation?
    Ah, sorry. Gotcha. Guess I must have interpreted the "done fooling myself" line differently.

I'd definitely vote for either a modeler or even just high-quality plug-ins (like BIAS). Though that does remind me of something. While BIAS (the plug-in) itself is pretty cheap, the other guitarist in my newish getting-off-the-ground band has been looking at the BIAS Head 600-watt amp which uses the BIAS software, but that's around $1300 or so (closer to $1700 here in Japan). But there are a ton of great modelers under $1000 and plug-ins for $100 or less.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

it’s fun having a real amp and real cab and a pedalboard with pedals, but the time it takes to set that up and get it going (I don’t have a dedicated space to leave an amp or pedalboard and have to store it away after I’m done) for maybe just 10-15 minutes of playtime just doesn’t seem worth it anymore or very practical.
    But that's half the fun of this hobby.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

As a tube snob/purist, I've been pretty happy with my new-to-me AxeFx IIXL, going into a Mesa 2:90, driving an Avatar closed-back 2x12.

It's a shame you missed the sale, but I suppose I'm glad you did?

ME: Jacksons
    Rig: 5153 50W

I’m thinking that mini tube amp isn’t the answer either because like you said you need other stuff - overdrive likely, delay, noise gate, etc. do you guys find any significant difference in feel or inspiration versus playing something more like a real amp like a Katana versus just using headphones with something like Bias or an HX stomp? I don’t have space for real monitors so my recording setup is literally the laptop, apogee interface, and headphones. I could surely use that for writing and practicing with amp sims, but I was looking for a dedicated unit I could use without having to fire up the computer.
    You can do a quick test by trialing the Helix Native plug-in on your laptop and using the compatibility with stomp option to narrow down the number of blocks you can use to match the hardware unit. Bear in mind that ther may be slight differences due to the hardware unit having an input that changes impedance to match what you have as a first item in your chain and the headphones amp will be different between your interface and the hex stomp. Other than that I can highly recommend the stomp. It’s small, perfect for home play and there’s an update staled to later this year to extend the number of blocks you can use. Alternatives? Mooer GE250, Hotone Ampero or if you have the cash - Axe FM3. There’s also the Waza headphones but I cannot speak to its quality as I’m yet to test them.

You won’t get the same feel from a modeler through monitors or headphones as you would interacting with a real tube amp and a cab, but it works well when your situation doesn’t allow loud equipment. If you end up getting the stomp, start with a preset from one of the gurus like Jason Sadites (or watch his videos for extremely useful tips on how to make your modeler tone alive and responsive) or buy a preset pack from one of the established sellers. Also, give yourself a favor and skip e built in cabs on the stomp and get a good IR.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I like my Laney IRT Studio - the 1 W input is silent enough that I don't annoy the neighbours and it sounds quite nice at bedroom volumes. As the name suggests it's also pretty good for recording. A nice feature is that it has a built in load box, so you can play it with headphones or connect it to your interface without having a cab connected. Don't know how the headphone out sounds, as I've never used it.

Although like everyone else in the thread says, modelers and plugins are a really good option these days. Even free VST's (e.g. LePou's stuff) and IR's sound good.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

I just got a helix rack, and you know what? It's really quite good! So I'd probably recommend a helix as I think they can be had quite cheap too