Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Helix Stomp if you're ok not having any real volume aside from headphones - they take up almost no space at all and give you a crazy wide range of amps/cabs/pedals to play with. 6505MH and a nice 1x12 cab if you want the ability to go from convo levels to low roar.

I sold my 6505MH and got a mini Marshall stack, then swapped the crappy stock speakers with some Celestions -HUGE difference in sound. I use the Stomp to shape the tone and I can go from loud enough to hear over my strumming to people can hear me out on the street in front of the house with it.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by drache713 View Post
    Iím thinking that mini tube amp isnít the answer either because like you said you need other stuff - overdrive likely, delay, noise gate, etc. do you guys find any significant difference in feel or inspiration versus playing something more like a real amp like a Katana versus just using headphones with something like Bias or an HX stomp? I donít have space for real monitors so my recording setup is literally the laptop, apogee interface, and headphones. I could surely use that for writing and practicing with amp sims, but I was looking for a dedicated unit I could use without having to fire up the computer.
    The Fractal FM3 is a good option here too. Sounds awesome, doesn't take up much space. I think you'll need to get on the waiting list for it though.

You could also get an older Axe-Fx. Here's an Ultra for $650:

https://reverb.com/item/32841315-axe...-fractal-audio

They're still fantastic units.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Rig: 6505MH

And you guys think itís a better idea to get a higher end modeler like a helix, fractal, or VSTís than something like a katana or thr?

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Another vote for the Helix here. Grab a used Helix Floor, and then grab something like a Powerstage 170 down the line if you want to use a cab. At least that way if you DO end up gigging again, you can.

And you guys think it’s a better idea to get a higher end modeler like a helix, fractal, or VST’s than something like a katana or thr?
    There's no way I'd spend $1700 on something that says Line 6 on it. The Helix is $1700 new from Sweetwater right now and there are a bunch of them on eBay for half of that.

The upside of any modeler is that if/when you go with a regular amp again, everything else about the modeler is still useful. Effects, ease of recording, 4CM options, etc, etc.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

And you guys think it’s a better idea to get a higher end modeler like a helix, fractal, or VST’s than something like a katana or thr?
    the day i play through vsts is the day i give up on life.

Second had axe fx2 (usb so pc editing), or a helix should do you nicely. I am really liking the helix, it's more plug in and jam friendly than the axe fx2 so far. Bass tones are awesome too straight out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    the day i play through vsts is the day i give up on life.