Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp

Rig: 6505MH

Done fooling myself - need recommendations for a good home metal amp

So Iím done kidding myself and I am ready to get an amp/setup thatís appropriate for my needs. Iíve always wanted to have a real amp and ďrealĒ setup at home from a purist perspective but I just donít have the time or patience for it anymore. Yes itís fun having a real amp and real cab and a pedalboard with pedals, but the time it takes to set that up and get it going (I donít have a dedicated space to leave an amp or pedalboard and have to store it away after Iím done) for maybe just 10-15 minutes of playtime just doesnít seem worth it anymore or very practical.

So what I basically need is a home appropriate setup or amp/rig for use at home. I will likely never play in a band again so it doesnít need to be loud, it just needs to sound good for practice and for writing. I donít need a ton of tones but a clean, crunch, heavy rhythm and lead would work with appropriate effects. Less is more here - I donít want to have to get a separate noise gate or overdrive or delay pedal, an all in one solution where I can just plug in and go is ideal. It does not need to be geared towards recording specifically - I will be going direct into my Apogee interface with amp sims for any recording tones (I also donít wish to use amp sims for practicing, I want a dedicated amp or rig for that).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

These days things like plug ins on a laptop or HD stomps are so good you should be fine. Somewhere along the line when you have the limitations you have it just makes sense. You didnt say if you could use a computer but a puter with quality monitors and a plug-in will solve your problem.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

No modelers? Because it sounds like a Kemper would be right up your alley.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Iíd be totally down with modelers. I just canít afford a Kemper.

L6 stomp, good IR , headphones. Done.

I'm in a similar boat, and so far very happy with the Bias Amp. Only negative is the lack of effects but I've got my eye on the Mooer Black Truck. The two together gets you a solid amp modeler with tone matching and great online support, with an analog 4cm pedal with comp, boost, delay, verb and a tuner for ~$650 - $700 depending on how patient you are.

Anyway, even if you don't go for the Bias Amp (doesn't sound like you need anything that complicated), one of those mini 6505s or 5153s plus something like the Black Truck would get you great tones and anything you need in a rig, still safely in the sub $1000 range.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

I got Bias FX 2 and find tons of fun things to use.

Edit. I have a mini tube amp and I dont find them family friendly, not even switched to low, then you still need other things. I dont think mini tube amp is your answer. IMHO

Iím thinking that mini tube amp isnít the answer either because like you said you need other stuff - overdrive likely, delay, noise gate, etc. do you guys find any significant difference in feel or inspiration versus playing something more like a real amp like a Katana versus just using headphones with something like Bias or an HX stomp? I donít have space for real monitors so my recording setup is literally the laptop, apogee interface, and headphones. I could surely use that for writing and practicing with amp sims, but I was looking for a dedicated unit I could use without having to fire up the computer.