A much happier NAD, plus unexpected and unusual NBD!? AND CLIPS OF BOTH!? FUUU...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A much happier NAD, plus unexpected and unusual NBD!? AND CLIPS OF BOTH!? FUUU...

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

A much happier NAD, plus unexpected and unusual NBD!? AND CLIPS OF BOTH!? FUUU...

So now the 5150 II is up and running I thought I'd best do some fucking recording (fuck you Chris).

But before that, I just happened to be browsing the Facebook market place and this cropped up.

It's a 1986 Charvel 3B, which has been converted to an 8 string at some point in its life.

I knocked the guy down to silly money and he was only 50 minutes drive from me so I just couldn't resist.

Full fat EMG's (not stock). Neck thru. Heavy as hell. It's faded/yellowed to fuck and has some narly body cracks. Also I can't seem to get a truss rod wrench around the truss rod (it's collapsed back into the headstock, but I'm working on it, excavating a little at a time ) but other than that, it's fucking great!

So given the fact I've got a new amp now and a new bass I had to record something for the first time in about 6 months...

Bear in mind this is with the SUPER old strings on the bass, and I'm also deaf as fuck in my right ear at the moment (I have a post-viral sinus blockage that's playing havoc on my hearing). Bass is deliberately a little high in the mix so you can hear it, but that extra octave-up string makes it sit so nicely

(Here's a link just in case that doesn't embed because the track is set to private at the moment - https://soundcloud.com/crowborn84/8s...ssting/s-8zNMY )

Guitars were my Charvel So Cal (Aldrich bridge, 59 neck) -> Maxon OD808 -> Orange PPC412 (V30s) -> SM57 (pretty much what's in the picture tbh)

Not a very riffy track, but I feel like this bass is better used on the more plodding/chordy stuff, and the more "muscular" sounding Spector suits the more single note riffy garb. Anyway, enjoy (or don't).
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: '03 Gibson LPC
    MA: Taylor 214ce
    MB: '89 Spector NS2
    Rig: Ceriatone AH50/Mesa 212

That sounds fantastic... I still need to get myself an 8 string bass.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Spoiler

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

What's the bass recording chain?

ME: Jackson Scott Ian V
    Rig: HX Stomp/Headrush FRFR112

mmm sounds beefy.

what a cool find!

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

I know right? So unexpected. It's almost a shame it's an 8 string as it's not something I'll use all the time. I could convert it back to a 4 string as it's a great sounding bass but then I have my Spector which is already an outstanding sounding 4 string, so I'll leave it as it is and just use it here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post

What's the bass recording chain?
    I can't remember fully, but it's the same signal chain I've used for the last year or so with my Spector (and p-bass before that).
    The bass track is duplicated. One track is basically a heavily EQ'd and compressed DI, with emphasis on the subs and the upper mids.
    The other track is ran through a sansamp sim into a really basic amp sim, with some home made impulses of that Orange cab. Then everything below 400hz and 4khz dumped out.

Here's a clip without guitars so you can hear the bass better

Sounds like it's got guitar layered ontop of it It's so cool.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I love your bass tone so much.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

That bass tone is fantastic. Now you have me thinking about an 8 string bass