EVH 5150 III 50W EL34 and the blue channel mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EVH 5150 III 50W EL34 and the blue channel mod

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Blue channel with a boost is perfection. I have the LBX and have also seen the same thing on 6505+s. In the video you put the gain on 10, try a boost instead.... that and a MXR 10 band. On my nephews 5150 just a boost makes it BRUTAL.

Attachment 27316Attachment 27314
    Attachment 27312
    I also own an LBX and I think it's a killer amp! The blue channel sounds very different on that one though. Much tighter on the LBX. But yeah, the blue on the EL34 sounds good with a boost but I also like it without.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjon View Post
    I also own an LBX and I think it's a killer amp! The blue channel sounds very different on that one though. Much tighter on the LBX. But yeah, the blue on the EL34 sounds good with a boost but I also like it without.
    Sure, boost is just to go over the top. Now Im interested in trying one of these 60w EL amps. 1 thing Ive found with many amps, once you use a EQ it spoils you lol... I dont like almost any amp straight out of the box.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

Sure, boost is just to go over the top. Now Im interested in trying one of these 60w EL amps. 1 thing Ive found with many amps, once you use a EQ it spoils you lol... I dont like almost any amp straight out of the box.
    Do you like to use that EQ pedal in front of the amp or in the loop?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Mainly the loop. On modelers Ill use one up front boosting certain things then another post to remove things, a trick Mesa guys on here told me about.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Haha, I guess a lot of guys here don't like that blue channel? It's really good if you use it for the right things. It's great for more vintage sounding tones but I guess it could also do old school metal like Sabbath. With a boost it can get very modern. The red channel takes care of the rest.
    Here? Nah. We all already know how to dial-in a 5150

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've never heard anyone here mention the blue channel at all one way or the other.
    I never realized my old 5150 had more than one channel.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Mainly the loop. On modelers Ill use one up front boosting certain things then another post to remove things, a trick Mesa guys on here told me about.
    Same. When I had my 6505+, I had a MXR 10-band GEQ in the loop (before my reverb pedal), and it's a KILLER tone shaping tool in that location. There are uses for it out front, of course, as you can shape the tone before it hits the tubes. Before, I think it's about what frequencies you want to push into overdrive, and post (loop), it's about how loud you want those various overdriven frequencies.

Being largely a Mesa guy, I'm accustomed to really powerful pre-gain EQ controls on the amp, where I tend to push mids and treble pretty hard, and pull back bass. This gives a nice bass fundamental, and overdriven mids/highs. Then, with a GEQ in the loop (or on the amp, a la Mark Series), you control the loudness of those mids/highs, and open up the bass to let that low fundamental through.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Blue was definitely better on the 6l6 version than on my el34 version (at least for metal), but it's still a good sound.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer