School me on tube preamps - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School me on tube preamps

ME: RG 7420
    MA: Fylde
    Rig: JSX and XXX Halfstacks

I recently sold my tube amps in favor of tube preamps in rack setups.
    I have a Kartakou Collossus, Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi, Hafler T2, and a Rocktron Gainiac.
    My fave is the Valvesonic, followed by the Collossus. The Hafler reminds me of a hot rodded Fender, kind of like a Mesa.
    The Gainiac reminds me of a JCM 800 in a way. The Valvesonic might be hard to find at a good price now, but is probably the most versatile.
    There is also a 3 channel SLO clone that I saw on eBay that looks interesting.
    Last edited by maggotspawn; 04-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by maggotspawn View Post
    I recently sold my tube amps in favor of tube preamps in rack setups.
    I have a Kartakou Collossus, Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi, Hafler T2, and a Rocktron Gainiac.
    My fave is the Valvesonic, followed by the Collossus. The Hafler reminds me of a hot rodded Fender, kind of like a Mesa.
    The Gainiac reminds me of a JCM 800 in a way. The Valvesonic might be hard to find at a good price now, but is probably the most versatile.
    There is also a 3 channel SLO clone that I saw on eBay that looks interesting.
    You know back in the day I was just like this. I remember being all over preamps like the ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, TriAxis, all three of the great 90s Rocktron units (Chameleon, Voodu Valve, and Piranha), and flirted with buying one of those uber-expensive Engl E570s for going on 2 years way back when. For a brief time around 2000 or so, I had a mult-preamp, multi-power amp rack. As the idiot I was, I thought that having all that gear meant I should take it all out to a gig, so I had this huge SKB 12 space shock mount refrigerator on a skateboard out there with me to gigs. Felt ridiculous, which it was. I eventually downsized.

I wish the 1/2 rack would've caught on. I love rack gear still to this day, just wish it was smaller. All of these awesome 20 watt amps coming out show they can build the technology into tighter spaces, heck look at what Synergy is doing right now. I'd like to see that trend continue for sure!

Which reminds me, Emperoff, have you looked into Synergy?

ME: Jackson B7 CS
    Rig: ENGL Sovereign 212

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Which reminds me, Emperoff, have you looked into Synergy?

I have, but 900€ for an empty rack is just a joke. The single-module one costs 500€, and then you add an extra 400€ per module. Egnater M4s sold at 400$ back in the day, and they had 4 friggin' slots.

For the money of a single-module solution I could buy a Triaxis or an ENGL E570 and still have money to spare. Not mentioning the 2-module rack for 1700€. If I ever see an old Egnater M4 or even a used SYN-2 I would consider them, but not at current stupid prices.
    Last edited by Emperoff; 04-07-2020 at 01:47 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post

Checking the used market briefly I could find these:
    - ENGL E520/530 (200/300$)
    - Peavey Rockmaster (350$)
    - Marshalll JMP1 & ADA MP-1 (350$)
    - Carvin X-Quad (400$)
    - Mesa Studio Pre (500$)
    US dollars? Where are you getting these numbers. JMP-1s haven't gone for $350 in years. Everyone wants at least $500 these days.

The ENGL e530 is a great unit, you can get that for like $350-400 if you get a good deal.

They don't go as low as $200. Not even the older ones. Had one of those. I like them. Had an e530 as well.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

The Soldano SP-77s are also in your price range, if you go by the more realistic numbers of $500-600 for something like a JMP-1.

Higher priced stuff is like the Bogner Fish or a CAE unit.

ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & Roadkill 2x12

I've had great luck getting awesome tones using a triaxis and wall of sound. Same with the marshall el84 20 20 & harley benton gpa-400.

If you want something interesting to look at check out preamps.ru
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    https://toboy-diy.blogspot.com//

Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM

ME: Jackson B7 CS
    Rig: ENGL Sovereign 212

BTW, any of you guys tried R&R preamps? There's one around 300€ that is really attractive as it has 3 channels with independent EQs. Sounds like a tighter Dual Recto judging by Youtube clips. Looks like Russians are preamp fanatics!

RnR Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    US dollars? Where are you getting these numbers. JMP-1s haven't gone for $350 in years. Everyone wants at least $500 these days.

The ENGL e530 is a great unit, you can get that for like $350-400 if you get a good deal.

They don't go as low as $200. Not even the older ones. Had one of those. I like them. Had an e530 as well.
    USA numbers for your reference, but not usa "market". You can deduct roughly 50$ for prices in €.

Actually, the JMP-1 is easily found down to 200€ here. Around here there's a like a huge gap in pricing. They're all around 300€ except higher end ENGLS and Triaxis. Then things like the Soldano, bogner, or CAE stuff are just nowhere to be found. This is just a screenshot but I also have an ENGL E520 at 200€ below those.

Last edited by Emperoff; 04-08-2020 at 11:33 AM.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

damn. ive been eyeing RNR SL/LDs as well. The Kartakou, RNR and Animal SOund stuff looks decent. but they are rare as rocking horse sh1t here, and i think i'd struggle to sell it if i didnt gel with it. But for that money i'd jump. if you dont buy it, could you let me know where you saw that?
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.