2020 Plectrum Round-up: What are you using? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Plectrum Round-up: What are you using?

ME: Ibanez RGT42DX
    Rig: 5150 III 50w -> G-System

Currently using the Dunlop Petrucci flows. Pretty sure they're 2mm? I didnt like them at first, and much preferred the 1.5mm Flows, but they grew on me pretty fast and now I reach for one of them before anything else. Before that it was ultex Jazz III XL, which had the major downside of blending into every color of carpet or flooring imaginable.

Anyone got experience with the flow 2.0, and the petrucci flows? I'd like to know that the difference is, if any.
    Dances With Cables.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Still using the Dunlop T3 greens.

Anyone know if anyone makes a Triangle/wedge pick with the T3/Jazz 3 style point? I know of the Clayton Spike, but haven't tried it yet.

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Ive been using these for the last year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Tried some of the Flow's but they didnt live up to the hype. Still using the Ultex XL Series. Also have some 1.14 maxgrip's but htey dont get much play time anymore.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMetalTroy View Post
    Currently using the Dunlop Petrucci flows. Pretty sure they're 2mm? I didnt like them at first, and much preferred the 1.5mm Flows, but they grew on me pretty fast and now I reach for one of them before anything else. Before that it was ultex Jazz III XL, which had the major downside of blending into every color of carpet or flooring imaginable.

Anyone got experience with the flow 2.0, and the petrucci flows? I'd like to know that the difference is, if any.
    Yeah, me. As I wrote here, I've been using the Beartrucci model Flow for a bit and prefer the wear characteristics over my old bulk buy, Ultex Sharp 2.0s. I also bought a selection pack with one of each of a large range of thicknesses of the Flow picks, and even a couple of the Jumbo ones. The material of the JP Flows seems to wear more slowly than the transparent ones of the same gauge, and I think the attack sounds a bit different, too. I might try the Andy James ones and see if those are any different...

I've yet to try anything pricier (Red Bear/Blue Chip/whatever) because I wear picks out like an angle grinder and I doubt it'd be more economic. (I landed with the JP Flows after wearing one Ultex Sharp 2mm to an unusable twisted point by half-way through the first song in the set at a gig, getting peeved and trying different picks again.)

I like the Ultex 427 Jazz III 2.0 as well, but find them a bit small for metal rhythm. After getting back into playing in bands I found that my trusty red Jazz IIIs just weren't big enough.

I've pretty much owned EVERY boutique pick out there (as well as the Dunlops etc) and currently my fave is the ChickenPicks shredder model. Still waiting on some Stone Age picks to try as that seems to be the flavor of the month.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Just got the EB Prodigy picks yesterday, I got the 1.5mm Jazz shape. My only gripe with the JP picks was that they were almost the size of a normal pick and I've been using Jazz-sized for almost 20 years, going back to the small Jazz shape with the additional slant-towards-the-tip had my right hand moving faster than my left, which is interesting because it's almost always been the opposite my entire life. I'm spending the day recording so I'll see how things level out as the day goes on. Not really doing any shreddy stuff today but I'm sure I'll end up wanking for a bit at some point.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

2020 Plectrum Round-up: What are you using?-p1-png2020 Plectrum Round-up: What are you using?-p2-png

Finally got the Prodigy picks
    Pics for size comparison to Flowpicks

I like them but wish they had some texture like the flow picks. i may try drilling some holes through it.

The prodigy has much sharper bevel and is quite a bit lighter than the flowpick.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ