Struggling to find a good metal tone - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to find a good metal tone

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

I may be mistaken, but I think the MG10 has a 6.5" speaker. If I'm right, that would be your problem. It's hard to get a full tone from a 6.5" speaker. Too bad there isn't a amp out, so that you can get the Direct (DI) signal from the amp, bypassing the speaker. Then you could use IRs to hear how it really was supposed to sound.

I did something similar with a small Orange Crush that I used for my workbench amp, while testing guitars. I added an external jack, that bypasses the speaker when a plug is inserted. I played through the speaker, then inserted the speaker cable into my Mesa 4x12.

The difference is amazing, even on this little iPhone sound cliip:

Last edited by lespauled; 05-22-2020 at 12:40 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Pshemek1986 View Post
    Thanks for more recommendations.

Would focusrite interface play sound from laptop also so that I could play along with the mp3 track while using plugins?

Currently I'm plugging mp3 player to my cheap amp but the output on headphones is terrible. I think it's mono even. Adds to my frustration.
    Yes. I use my Scarlett 2i2 as basically the hub of my whole system - guitar & bass in, music out, etc.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

You don't find a good metal tone dude, it finds you.

It's like the wand shit in Harry Potter, only instead of a 17" willow thing with a core of basilisk pubic hair offered to you by a respectable actor who is slumming it up for a paycheck by appearing in a series which can best be described as "Ayn Rand level objectivist propaganda dressed up in wizard clothes, but the kids love it, as long as you ignore the fact that the 'relatable'/'oppressed' main character is a trust fund kid who wants to grow up to be a wizard cop" you are probably going to be looking at one of the 3-4 variations of amp pretty much everyone in the genre uses. Likely boosted with a TS.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    you are probably going to be looking at one of the 3-4 variations of amp pretty much everyone in the genre uses. Likely boosted with a TS.
    Hey, they're popular for a reason. The 4 variations I use are (in order of preference): 1. Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, 2. ENGL Savage 120, 3. Soldano SLO100, 4. Peavey 5150. Nothing unique about that, but that's because they rule. You don't hear someone playing some kind of tone you've never heard of in metal because it either doesn't work with the style of music or because it just plain sucks. Sure, you'll hear someone playing through an amp brand you've never heard of, but it'll usually be an attempt to capture the sound of one of the more common amps, and I've excluded a few from my 4 variations such as the Marshall JCM800, etc.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Hey, they're popular for a reason. The 4 variations I use are (in order of preference): 1. Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, 2. ENGL Savage 120, 3. Soldano SLO100, 4. Peavey 5150.
    You're just asking for the classic "Actually, the 5150 and Dual Rectifier are both variations on the SLO, so that's not actually a list of 4 distinct variations, although in 1994 Mercury Magnetics......(amp history)........(more amp history)....(more amp history)...........which is why two channel triple recs sound better, but only in the southern hemisphere, because of the way the Coriolis effect interacts with the power amp" lecture here.

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Hey, they're popular for a reason. The 4 variations I use are (in order of preference): 1. Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, 2. ENGL Savage 120, 3. Soldano SLO100, 4. Peavey 5150. Nothing unique about that, but that's because they rule. You don't hear someone playing some kind of tone you've never heard of in metal because it either doesn't work with the style of music or because it just plain sucks. Sure, you'll hear someone playing through an amp brand you've never heard of, but it'll usually be an attempt to capture the sound of one of the more common amps, and I've excluded a few from my 4 variations such as the Marshall JCM800, etc.
    I'm currently using a combination of the SLO and an Ubershall. Granted, they're Line 6 SIMS, but love 'em nonetheless.

ME: Ibanez GRG7221
    Rig: Marshall Valvestate AVT50

Always interesting to read about a metal guitarist's beginnings to the quest for metal tone. Your current gear is indeed a very common beginner's practice rig, and while it obviously has its limits, you can still get a half decent metal tone with it if you go about it the right way. So to get the most of your current gear before you upgrade, here is a useful YT video which features a Marshall MG10 and a Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion Pedal (Digitech's take on the Boss Metal Zone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBT0PxR7Es

I like the amp's distortion channel tone better in that video, the pedal distortion sounds fizzy, but either does the job. While the video demo is more classic heavy metal style riffing, some basic half decent thrash/death metal tones should be possible with the same gear. I started with a Behringer 10 watt practice amp very similar to the MG10, and with a bit of work I had no problem getting such tones, especially with a Metal Zone in the clean channel, it was a surprisingly big heavy sound for a small amp.
    Last edited by MadGreek; 05-23-2020 at 06:53 AM.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You're just asking for the classic "Actually, the 5150 and Dual Rectifier are both variations on the SLO, so that's not actually a list of 4 distinct variations, although in 1994 Mercury Magnetics......(amp history)........(more amp history)....(more amp history)...........which is why two channel triple recs sound better, but only in the southern hemisphere, because of the way the Coriolis effect interacts with the power amp" lecture here.
    Well, I didn't pick any variations that sounded too distinctly different because that 5150/Dual Rect/SLO sound (though I do think the SLO sounds pretty different from the Dual Rect and 5150, which are more similar) is what I'm personally into. But my main point was just that first sentence "Hey, they're popular for a reason." It's also why you don't really hear drastically sounding tones coming out. If they did, they would either be universally panned, universally hated, or just ignored for being too boring. And I can just imagine someone saying "THIS REVOLUTIONARY TONE CAME OUT! I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE IT!" then I listen to it and agree that it sounds amazing, but it just sounds like an improved version of some previous tone variant.