Struggling to find a good metal tone
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to find a good metal tone

Struggling to find a good metal tone

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to the subject of electric sound. Some time ago I bought my first equipment.

Guitar: Ibanez GRG170DX
    Amplifier: Marshall MG10
    Distortion pedal: Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

I play with headphones on mainly not to piss off the neighbors. I would like to achieve various tones, something close to Slayer, Iron Maiden or Death. The problem is that it is what I'm achieving now sounds terrible. Even the simplest "power chord" gives this annoying buzz that hurts ears.

I thought it was related to the MT-2 settings but I tried all the gain, low, mids and those according to the instructions and always
    sounds terrible. Got me so frustrated that I stopped practicing for few days In general, Metal Zone has a bad reputation on the web. On the other hand there are many recordings on youtube where people achieve satisfying (for me) sound. I can't get there no matter what I try. It seems to me that the problem must be cheap amplifier. I came to the conclusion that I approached it all wrong and since I play with headphones on anyway I don't need an amplifier but should buy a good audio interface for my laptop and play with amp sims and plugins to get the right tones.

Is my thinking correct? If yes, what audio interface and amp sims would be best? If not, what else can I try?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

ME: Jackson CS KE2
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Just get a DIEZEL

but nah, basically bro, any cheap gear is gonna suck- may just need to save for an upgrade in the amp department

EDIT: and also one other thing. Metal Zone does NOT suck. Dissection supposedly used it on The Somberlain and that album sounds great imo
    Last edited by BStobart; 05-19-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Yeah, the ampís most likely the biggest problem. For cheap practice amps the Boss Katana has a good rep.

When it comes to interfaces, Iíve got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 that is ok, although it has had some driver issues on Windows (no problems right now for me). Iíve got some tones that Iím quite satisfied with using free plugins, this for example uses Lepou Legion with Mattayus IRís that he shared here. I donít know a huge amount about recording, so someone skilled could probably get some fantastic tones out of this

https://soundcloud.com/user-65107928...eason-2-song-3

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

I also always had a really negative impression of the Metal Zone, but I think a big part of that was because when I tried the Metal Zone (I never owned one because it was too buzzy, sounding like a swarm of bees to my ears), it was through either cheap amps or through amps that really weren't suited for it. I've heard lots of albums that were recorded with Metal Zones that sound great and there are some YouTubers (such as Ola) who have achieved REALLY good metal tones with Metal Zones, so it's definitely possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could get a great metal tone with one now, but it'd really depend on what other gear I'm pairing with it. I've been able to make pretty sweet metal tones for at least 15 years now, but the first few years that I played guitar, I always felt like I could never get enough gain and that I could never get the right vicious, cutting, brutal tones of punk, metal, hard rock, and so on that I loved. I just didn't know about noise gates, about clean boosts, about high-output pickups, about amp gain stages, and so on. In fact, it's kind of crazy to think back now on how much I struggled to get a good metal tone back then when it's pretty effortless now. Part of it is knowledge and part of it is experience, I think. But if you don't have the right gear, it's gonna be tough. Some amps just aren't suited for metal.

Although pickups, pedals, and amps are all factors, I think the amp is the biggest factor by far. I've seen people get great metal tones from a good metal amp even when using a guitar that's not suited for metal (for example, single-coil pickups or just low-output pickups). In fact, I use a boost on most amps, but there are some amps that can get a totally kickass metal tone without even using a boost. And then there are amps that even with a good distortion or overdrive pedal, no matter what you do, you can't get a good high gain tone.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I also always had a really negative impression of the Metal Zone, but I think a big part of that was because when I tried the Metal Zone (I never owned one because it was too buzzy, sounding like a swarm of bees to my ears), it was through either cheap amps or through amps that really weren't suited for it. I've heard lots of albums that were recorded with Metal Zones that sound great and there are some YouTubers (such as Ola) who have achieved REALLY good metal tones with Metal Zones, so it's definitely possible.
    Yeah, I think Ola found that it works great as a preamp, but sucks in front, which was pretty interesting.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Yeah, I think Ola found that it works great as a preamp, but sucks in front, which was pretty interesting.
    Metalzone is a great clean boost pedal too.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Pshemek1986 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to the subject of electric sound. Some time ago I bought my first equipment.

Guitar: Ibanez GRG170DX
    Amplifier: Marshall MG10
    Distortion pedal: Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

I play with headphones on mainly not to piss off the neighbors. I would like to achieve various tones, something close to Slayer, Iron Maiden or Death. The problem is that it is what I'm achieving now sounds terrible. Even the simplest "power chord" gives this annoying buzz that hurts ears.

I thought it was related to the MT-2 settings but I tried all the gain, low, mids and those according to the instructions and always
    sounds terrible. Got me so frustrated that I stopped practicing for few days In general, Metal Zone has a bad reputation on the web. On the other hand there are many recordings on youtube where people achieve satisfying (for me) sound. I can't get there no matter what I try. It seems to me that the problem must be cheap amplifier. I came to the conclusion that I approached it all wrong and since I play with headphones on anyway I don't need an amplifier but should buy a good audio interface for my laptop and play with amp sims and plugins to get the right tones.

Is my thinking correct? If yes, what audio interface and amp sims would be best? If not, what else can I try?

You know, with a bit of tweaking, you can get decent sounds out of less than ideal gear, try some of this:

- don't max gain
    - don't max treb/bnass
    - don't scoop mids

i'd start like this:
    - set amp control to neutral, slowly brig up the gain untill you've got distortion. Not too much.
    - Now, tweak the controls and avoid extreme settings.
    - If you're going to use the metalzone, again, start neutral, gain OFF, level halfway.
    - play around with the param eq knobs, and see how that interacts with your amp, find something that sounds nice
    - maybe adjust the gain down on the amp as you bring the level up

One thing to remember is that a lot of "distorted" guitar on records has less distortion than you think it does. Also, the low end is most likely the bass guitar. Guitar sounds are actually guitar+bass sounds where they compliment each other. Remember the guitar is a mid focused instrument.

And remember, we all used bad/cheap gear at one point, it really helps in the long run as you learn how to dial something in and use it.

You'll get there, don't give up!