New Skull Day
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Skull Day

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

New Skull Day

So shortly after putting up bass traps and wall treatment I had this sort of realization like, "Well, this is good from a sonic perspective, but without any reflections in here, I've kind of lost that cavernous dungeon ambiance".

So I was thinking of ways to have my cake and eat it too. Have acoustic treatment and dungeon ambiance. And I was like, "you know what I need, skulls and chains. Skulls and chains all over the place."

Immediately after that I was like, "No, that's stupid I'm not going to put skulls and chains all over the place so you can't move around without the risk of bumping into a skull or chain..........I need something more elegant and understated, what I really need is skulls hanging from chains."

Which is partly because skulls are cool. But also because partly, to this day, it cracks me the fuck up that Black Metal bands are so into them. I grew up in wilderness areas so I was always just kind of like, "oh yeah, look, a skull, a spinal column". And then when I moved to more civilized areas all these kids pretending to be Lord of the Rings characters from the suburbs were like, "THIS IS A LUXURY GOOD, I SPENT $750 ON THIS SKULL ON ETSY". People are really passionate about it. Which is kind of dumb, because that shit is literally all over the fucking place, but whatever, it's funny as fuck.

But you know, since buying a skull is for posers. And buying a perfectly preserved delicate one that has been carefully cleaned and doesn't even look like natural decay is definitely for posers, I was just sort of stuck in this position where I would have to wait until I found a cool skull.

I wasn't willing to settle for just any skull either. I wanted a bear skull. Because they are the gnarliest predators in North America. Obviously, bear skulls are somewhat hard to find. Because bears are at the top of the good chain, it's illegal to hunt them, and most of the people who run into one and try to kill them in self defense end up dead themselves.

But the other day I was running by the river and I was like, "oh shit, what is that, buried in the sediment?". And it was this gross old bear skull that had probably been there forever. Busted as fuck. Orbitals broken off, all the good shit. A real gnarly skull. Not a poser skull. The skulls you see at like, black metal shows, are not natural at all. If they aren't reproductions, it's from a farmed animal, and it's been carefully preserved. Real skulls in the wild aren't like items you can pick up in an RPG, the jaw bone isn't even connected. People go through a ton of work to reconstruct them to sell them to your bitch ass. Obviously this one is missing cool shit like the jaws and teeth, but it probably died a while ago up in the highlands and its skull washed downstream with glacial runoff.

So anyways, yeah, most important piece of gear I have got in a while.

It serves an actual purpose too. It's not just for decoration. I can judge monitoring levels or amp cab levels by how much the skull is ominously swaying. If the skull isn't ominously swaying, levels are obviously too quiet. If I have a raging cab in the room and ear protection on, I can judge if I am at the right level of speaker excursion/pushing air by how much the skull is ominously swaying. It would probably be slightly more ominous hanging from a longer chain, but I already hit everything with guitar headstocks, so I stuck to a shorter one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

The fact it has no face makes it 10x more metal.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The fact it has no face makes it 10x more metal.
    The fully complete ones are delicate as fuck and take a ridiculous amount of work to assemble. It's obviously really contrived. You would never actually find a skull like that.

Those are from people who either found an animal that just died, or killed it themselves, and have a colony of dermestid flesh eating beetles.

Skulls are actually like, the least tough things ever. Humans can't even prepare one without breaking it. You have to buy a colony of flesh eating beetles. I know people who have them. It's funny as fuck. They talk about it like getting a new playstation. Like, "oh yeah, I upgraded to a larger colony of flesh eating beetles".

Museums (the kind that display bones) and universities always have them too. It's just not something you advertise. Like, "Oh, here is my tank of flesh eating beetles". The skeletal industry runs on flesh eating beetles. It's not like, some weird freaky fringe thing, they are really common. I know veagans who have them, it's weird as fuck. Half the people into that sort of thing are actually veagan, they just like having skulls around because it's some sort of Native American Voodoo shit about respecting the power of the animal it belonged to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson CS KE2
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

nice, now sway it with some ominous riffs
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Native American Voodoo shit about respecting the power of the animal it belonged to.
    portland, oregon
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Nice score sir! I had a few different skulls around the practice space back in the day, no idea what happened to them. Lost in the process. Nothing cool like this though, mostly chiseled looking ceramic crap you'd find in New Orleans. Still was better to look at than the other band's Bob Marley poster hanging on the other side of the room

Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    Nice score sir! I had a few different skulls around the practice space back in the day, no idea what happened to them. Lost in the process. Nothing cool like this though, mostly chiseled looking ceramic crap you'd find in New Orleans. Still was better to look at than the other band's Bob Marley poster hanging on the other side of the room
    If a practice space doesn't have at least one skull, is it even a practice space? That's the real question here.

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

you're right, I'm slackin. need a pile of bones in the corner.

Wow cool and scary