Strymon Iridium (IR loader, amp sim) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strymon Iridium (IR loader, amp sim)

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm surprised they bothered with amp sims at all, or that they don't have at least a standalone IR load pedal.
    Are they sims? I can't actually tell from the marketing. I think it's supposedly a semi hybrid type thing with more analogue stuff inside than something that is straight up full sims. I assume that's probably supposed to be part of the appeal I guess. They have a "JFET input stage" advertised. Every brand has their own own pedal preamp+ (poweramp, IR, etc. etc. etc.) range out these days, and it's nearly impossible to tell exactly what anything is from the marketing. I think that at least some of the preamp section of this is supposed to be analogue. I actually want a preamp pedal for my board because I think the portability is cool, but somehow none of them are quite clear on whether they are distortion pedals or dedicated preamps. Electronically, yeah, it's the same parts, it can even be similar circuits, but it's confusing as fuck. I have no idea how half the stuff out there is supposed to be used.

From my understanding of the Iridium, it's mostly sims and DSP, but it has some more analogue stuff happening up front than like, a POD or something. I'm not sure the product would really have a reason to exist if there wasn't some "hybrid" thing going on, since you can run sims off any phone from the past 5 years. I think there is supposed to be some techy "premium strymon magic" going on that sets it apart from a straight up computer in a box running sims.

I would generally be more interested in a non sim pedal form factor preamp from strymon, like this.

To pair with one of the higher end "pedal form factor fancier poweramps" that are coming out now to have your whole rig on a pedalboard".

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

The main selling point of anything with those newer SHARC chips is supposedly that the latency is non-existent, or impossibly low, so it transcends what people think of as a "sim".

They're in everything of course. I have them in a UA interface. They're in the Iridium, a bunch of other interfaces, the super hyped Neural pedal. Probably the new Axe-FXs and Kempers too. There's not a ton of variety, usually everything from the same gen is super similar.

Supposedly those are supposed to transcend "sim" territory by offering some sort of "analog-digital integration", to somehow surpass a sim in the sense of "a program running on a computer".

I can't tell from any of the write ups how much of that is true and how much is just marketing jargon technobabble though.

According to any of the companies trying to sell you products, which may or may not be an unbiased source, anything with those newer Sharc chips is a cut above "modeled simulation" due to........reasons.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Are they sims? I can't actually tell from the marketing. I think it's supposedly a semi hybrid type thing with more analogue stuff inside than something that is straight up full sims. I assume that's probably supposed to be part of the appeal I guess.
    I mean, it's a pedal with amp modeling, that's simulating an actual amp. If there's a difference between that and a "full sim", I am too old to give a shit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I mean, it's a pedal with amp modeling, that's simulating an actual amp. If there's a difference between that and a "full sim", I am too old to give a shit.
    It's actually not cutting edge anymore, something "even more real than the real thing" is probably just around the corner. If I had to guess I would say the fact the chips that were in the cutting edge units when they were released at the start of this gen of physical sim/modelers are trickling down to a huge variety of lower priced units I would say it's probably not a great time to buy anyways, since the next gen probably isn't that far off.

That's an advantage more traditional amps have over physical products running sims or whatever, you don't have to time your purchases right or risk getting a bad value.

When did the Axe-FX III come out? Usually they sort of set the hardware standard for parts and it stays there for 3-4 years. There's only one or two companies making the chips they all use. It's like the CPU market. There's not a ton of options. Intel or AMD.

What is a gen in physical amp modeling units? 4 years?

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

That's an advantage more traditional amps have over physical products running sims or whatever, you don't have to time your purchases right or risk getting a bad value.
    Yeah, I bought a used Line6 Flextone 2 in like 2003 or something for 500€ - a few years ago I couldn’t almost give it away for free as no one would take it.

In the end I did get it traded for a Microcube.

I think that advantage becomes less important as you get older. I don't take it into consideration at all when I buy gear. If something sounds awesome and the price is fair, I'll buy it. Never once have I ever thought "man, I really like this but 5 years from now I won't be able to sell it for as much". I think part of that mindset stems from the djent mindset, where everyone plans ahead to flip everything for max dollar after they've taken their InstaFace selfies with it.

The other part is that young people tend to have less disposable income than us old farts - it's one of the few nice things about being old. My back hurts all the time for no reason, my hair is turning gray, I pay $1800/mo for daycare and just this morning I did the cheery business of buying my family a freakin gravestone plot. But on the upside, if I want to impulse buy a Bogner right now, I can.

Anyway I still think this Strymon pedal is neat and may pick one up for shits.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Pedal form factor (size+traditional knobs and buttons) and limited number of amps leads me to believe it's mostly targeted as a modernized Sansamp, no?
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Yeah, I bought a used Line6 Flextone 2 in like 2003 or something for 500€ - a few years ago I couldn’t almost give it away for free as no one would take it.

In the end I did get it traded for a Microcube.
    I did that too, with an AX2 212 combo - in 1998 according to their timeline (which is pretty neat). That amp was fucking horrible, I ended up trading it in to another music store for something around 1/4 of what it cost, and to make matters worse I financed it in the music store to begin with. So I was paying something like 29% APR on an amp I didn't own anymore. I still had no regrets unloading it, it was the single worst piece of gear I've ever owned to this day.

https://line6.com/timeline/