Compressor pedals - how / when do you use them? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressor pedals - how / when do you use them?

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Never.

I think I've got *one* instance of a compressor running in my AxeFx, for bass, and it's a studio-style placed AFTER the SVT model to mellow pops and such.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

I use a compressor first in the chain on clean sounds. 4:1, fast attack, fast release. I want the transients there, I just want them lower volume and consistent with the rest of the trailing sound.

For bass, compressors are really great. I particularly like the MXR bass compressor with it's LED gauge at the top, it's a perfect compressor.

Then for recording, I've realized recently how important it is to run each instrument individually through a tube pre and a hardware (non-vst) compressor. I picked up a WA76 recently, and oh man does it make everything sound better. Night and day.

So yeah compressors are incredibly important.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

I don't use mine for dirty tones at all, partly because it raises the noise floor, and partly because when I've already got a high gain tone, I don't notice the compressor much.

I love it for cleans, especially when you've got a midrangey or spikier clean tone if you want to cut through a mix. The compressor evens out the attack, and gives a feel that's closer to the high gain tone, so I don't have to worry about changing my pick attack as much (in a band setting I tend to pick too hard, so maybe that means I just suck haha).

I'll usually turn the attack/compression setting up until it sounds too obvious, then back it off a bit. That usually seems to drop the volume, so I'll bump the level up a bit over unity to where the general volume seems about the same as the dry tone.

I hadn't tried a compressor until six months ago or so and love it. I've never played in bands with clean tones before, so when I started playing clean stuff in a band setting, the cleans always felt off to me. Once I got the compressor, it fixed that. Probably because the bands I was in before were all EMGs --> Tubescreamer --> 5150, so I just never learned what dynamics were.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

I used to dislike compressors, namely due to bad experience on an old Boss ME8. Now I have a few of kinds of pedals.

I mostly use them for cleans. When I did the country sessions, they were a godsend live, and essential for 12 strings. Tried using it for dirty tones just for sustain, but end up never using them.

For bass, at first I didn't need one until I got turned on to them. Now it's always on, since it makes harmonics pop more clearly and easier when slapping about.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    I use a Keeley compressor pedal in front of my Kemper. It gives me the perfect input vs clipping like crazy and I have to lower the clean sense to like -9.
    I still dont understand why they made the input so sensitive on Kemper

and everytime I asked about it on Kemper forum the answer given was "lower pickups"

but thats just lazy answer because only Kemper has this input issue, nothing else I have used it on

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Compressor is a god send for tapping and finger picking, especially clean. They also work as a pretty good clean boost, less like an OCD or Klon and more like a high output pickup, but without coloring or overdriving your sound. I rarely turn mine off, TBH.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I still dont understand why they made the input so sensitive on Kemper

and everytime I asked about it on Kemper forum the answer given was "lower pickups"

but thats just lazy answer because only Kemper has this input issue, nothing else I have used it on
    Pretty much. Metal users who pick harder have brought it up for years on the forum.