Metal Guitarist Forums banner

OLA & The Soldano SLO30.

6K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  Toe-Knee 
#1 ·

Good Lord this thing sounds massive! Gah... I still want an OG but man this head just sounds stupid good.

#9 ·
Man, I'd easily pay $4000 for SLO because they are that perfect. I understand the apprehensiveness. I feel like the 30 should be a little less but man, the real deal OG ones built by Mike are definitely worth it.

#7 ·
A few years back they did the Hot Rod 25.... vert similar. The prices on the HR25 went fully insane, Ive seen them at 5k lol, when they stopped making them. Maybe the 2500 (not 2700) isnt so bad lol.

Or buy a AXE FX with FC and have change, a hundred amps and every effect known to man... hmmmm?:scratch:

#10 ·
Best tone I ever got was a short scale hollow cobra-s (tele shape but hollow lp specs) by anderson into a cheetah print SLO100 212 combo. Nastiest thrash tone I've ever heard in my life.

SLOs are the shit.

#16 ·
Man, that sounds great. I'd have no problem dropping $2700 on an amp if it sounded fucking awesome, and listening to this I go for a very different tone than Ola but I could hear the beginnings of some tones I could absolutely get on with (I know it was a Bogner, but there's sort of a Alien Love Secrets vibe in a few places here), but I'd really need to spend some time with one before I could be sure. Awesome, awesome sounding amp though.

#24 ·
Yeah, when you can get a 6505MH for $300 or the SLO30 for $2700... I'm not sure too many players are going to want to make that $2400 jump, and even less drunken metal fans are going to notice the difference in the two live.

The huge price reminded me about Jet City at the other end of the scale, they had a little soldano and Martin Kidd input, didn't they?

The Jet City website appears to list everything as legacy products and that they have new stuff coming summer 2020. Too much to hope they are going to make a perfect clone at a fraction of the price.
I'd always heard the Jet City's were clones, but was never quite sure. But, here's a 100w Jet City, used, for $450...

And, there's this: SLO MOD PACK tutorial.

#23 ·
The huge price reminded me about Jet City at the other end of the scale, they had a little soldano and Martin Kidd input, didn't they?

The Jet City website appears to list everything as legacy products and that they have new stuff coming summer 2020. Too much to hope they are going to make a perfect clone at a fraction of the price.

#26 ·
I get the price thing in some ways but for anyone already experienced with one or other quality gear that really is a fair price. The company building them still has Mike on board and they are experienced in other quality amps so they know what they are doing. As for 30W, I doubt you would have any volume issues. The 100w is ignorantly load on 3-4 to where everyone else thinks your an asshole in all but the largest places or open air, and it that point your in the PA, I cant imagine 30w with the right cab not being plenty in the real world.

If I didnt want to fart around with a bunch of different sounds and I had the scratch, Id be all over this thing like a fat kid on cake.

#34 ·
I'd definitely expect -and be willing to pay - a higher price than the 6505MH, for sure. And, under $2k is far more reasonable. If they retailed for $1700-2k, I'd be licking my chops trying to find the scratch, and, honestly if I still gigged I'd probably be ok with shelling out $4k for a SLO100. But for a one man band, that's just too much. That is, unless Chris adopts me... hint hint.

#40 ·
so turns out they are actually selling it here fort 2.5k. What a steal!
To be fair, thats £600 less than a Dual Rec at the moment.

But if I was in the market for a new amp at the moment I'd be looking at one of those Dover amps you just bought!
That would be the right choice, it sounds absolutely amazing. Not particularly flexible though just gain, insane gain and really insane gain. All usable though.

On topic aye its not far off a dual rec but the dr gives you a great clean channel and a multitude of tones on orange and red mode not just a single channel with shared eq.

Not to say I find the current prices of mesa in anybway acceptable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.