setting up an eq
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up an eq

setting up an eq

Looking for tips/suggestions on setting up a 10 band eq. i always seem to make my sound worse LOL so any help is appreciated and I hope everyone is having a good sunday

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Usually just turning on a MXR 10 band makes the sound better, not even moving the sliders so I cant think how to guide you but to just include a basic pic of a setting that works great for my amp. Different guitars/amps /boost can alter this. Main advice, move sliders a tiny bit at a time once you here what each one does.

The 4kh slider will be lower when a boost is used usually as they tend to raise freq near that range.

setting up an eq-eq-jpg
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

Thanks bro!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

It's all based on the original sound, and what you're trying to get. I did some EQ tone matching of a solid state signal to a EL34 tube power amp, and put that in my MXR.

setting up an eq-eq-tone-match-powerstage-el34-mxr-jpg

This gives a solid state amp, an EQ of an EL34 power amp.

ME: Gibson V
    MA: Eastman
    Rig: Mesa Roadster

i would think a little goes a long way, and this is one of those bandmix experiment things. maybe think of it as it's good enough when you don't notice a drastic change, and it's perfect when you feel like nothing is missing.

if you're using the pedal for a solo boost instead of the amp's solo volume knob (which is a pain the ass for me personally), put it in the loop, keep all the frequencies flat in the middle, then bump the mids and the volume just out of that 'home click' position. Just that alone could be all it takes to get the job done. You might be reluctant to dedicate a pedal to such a small tonal effect, but it's good to avoid extremes with it (IMO) and much less of a headache than walking back to your amp to fiddle with the solo knob (which is a volume effect only).

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
    It's all based on the original sound, and what you're trying to get. I did some EQ tone matching of a solid state signal to a EL34 tube power amp, and put that in my MXR.

Wait, what?
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post

Not gonna dog on ya because if it sounds good to you go for it man, but I think more goes into the sound profile of an amp than just the EQ of the power section. That's not to mention that often the output transformer has more to do with tonal characteristics than the tubes sometimes. If it works and sounds good to you, have atcha good sir.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Dont confuse this guy ya bunch of anal retentive nutbags lol... leave your EQ controversy to another thread, this dude needs to keep it basic, not the finer points of your bizzare theory on EQ.