NAD * 3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAD * 3

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

I’ll have to disagree with you about the mp-1 vs jmp-1. I got my mp-1 in 1988, and I have a jmp-1 in my rack now. The jmp-1 can get heavier than the stock mp-1. , IMO. The jmp really shines through a el34 power amp. Not that I’m he mp-1 is bad at all, but I do t think it’s any better than the Marshall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2

Maybe I'm missing something then. Care to send over some heavy rhythm patch settings? I'll swap the tubes and try any suggestions, but in everything but cleans there wasn't any sound that I couldn't have dialed in to sound better (albeit noisier before any mods) on the stock MP1.

I'll have to defer to your experience since I'm sure you've been around the block a few more times than I have, but it also kind of makes sense that any big band that uses them all have the Voodoo mod done.

Hmmmm...

NAD * 3-img_20200821_101053-jpg

Put some JJs in it and still sounds the same. It doesn't sound BAD, just that the gain has to be cranked to max to get a usable heavy tone out of it. Looked at all the traces around the tube board, nothing else seems burnt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Okay, so got fucking around with the JMP-1. I bumped up the value of R124, which is the cathode resistor for the second tube, first gain stage. I came upon a post from Trace from Voodoo Amps on a forum somewhere in the depths of the internet and he mentions that most of the clipping happens from diodes, which seems to be common knowledge from everything I've read. What I didn't know was that only 1 tube (2 gain stages per tube) is for the OD channels, and 1 tube is for the clean. I figured that's perfect, I like the cleans, just want more gain on the OD channels.

Swapped that resistor for one I ripped out of the MP-1, was originally a 2.2k, bumped it up to 7.4k, trying to up the resistance on the cathode, which makes it a cold clipping stage which is kind of the SLO signature thing that everyone copied.

Ended up a partial success, the OD2 channel is louder for one thing, has slightly more gain, and is WAY more dynamic in response to picking. OD1 didn't change at all, which leads me to believe that OD1 only uses the second gain stage of the tube to go into the tone controls.

I'd like to push it just a bit more, so want to put in a higher value resistor, maybe 10-15k, see what it does. I just used what I had on hand to see if it would make a difference. I like what I'm hearing though, so that's promising.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Nice! Preamp gas rising...

Worth changing out that scorched tube socket d'ya think?
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & Roadkill 2x12

I'd definitely check out that socket give it a good clean with contact cleaner. You could have a short.

These preamps should have more than enough gain and be pretty tight stock.

I'd also check the solder connections from the tube board to the main one they have a tendency to fail due to heat getting trapped under the board
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    https://toboy-diy.blogspot.com//

Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Nice! Preamp gas rising...

Worth changing out that scorched tube socket d'ya think?
    Yeah, probably, just don't have the parts on hand I just made a $250 tubedepot order too...

Quote Originally Posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    I'd definitely check out that socket give it a good clean with contact cleaner. You could have a short.

These preamps should have more than enough gain and be pretty tight stock.

I'd also check the solder connections from the tube board to the main one they have a tendency to fail due to heat getting trapped under the board
    When I took the main board out and got looking at the under side of it, I'm pretty sure this has been in for repair or something before. Lots of flux residue on all the pins for the tube board. I put some lighter fluid on it and scrubbed with a toothbrush to get rid of some of it. Solder connections all seem to be good.

Next time I'm making a parts order I'll have to order a couple new sockets just to be safe, just have to make sure I get the right ones that will fit on the board.

Oh, also added a 1uf bypass cap across that new resistor, no idea why but it leveled the volume out across the 2 OD channels, bit more bite and gain. I can now run the gain on 18 instead of 20