Best 110 and 112 cabs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 110 and 112 cabs?

ME: n/a
    MA: n/a
    Rig: n/a

The Mesa Boogie Thiele cabs seem popular with some folks.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    The Mesa Boogie Thiele cabs seem popular with some folks.
    They're a different sound. I like them, but it's definitely not your standard V30s and brutal gain kinda thing.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopass Jackson View Post
    It's a "widebody" Mesa 1x12 with a C90 in it. It sounds so good that I plan to replace the v30s in the 412 next to it with C90s.
    Is it an open-back 1x12? I have a C90'd open-back 1x12, and it's awesome. But, no C90 I've ever tried in a closed-back cab has sounded great. I played a gig with an old Mesa 4x12 with C90's, and I was swallowed up instantly by the rest of the band.

Someone somewhere told me once it has to do with the vent through the center of the back of the C90, whereas V30's aren't vented? Or something? Might be snake oil, who knows

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Also, yeah, Mesa cabs are awesome.

As an owner of two of these, I'll throw in a suggestion for one of these.

Though, this one looks fun, too. You can run it both closed or open back.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    They're a different sound. I like them, but it's definitely not your standard V30s and brutal gain kinda thing.
    No but it's still the best. The only thing it doesn't do is maybe kick in the chest oversized closed back 412 tight bass, but it's so articulate. Most cabinets under 412 sound smallish and like half the frequencies are getting smooshed, that one doesn't imo
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

The Mesa C90s are made by Celestion, and they are just a renamed Celestion design. Maybe slightly tweaked.

You'll have to ask Celestion for sure, but off the top of my head I think it's the Classic Lead 80.

A bunch of the speakers go by multiple names. Since how they rate for Wattage isn't a black and white thing, sometimes the companies that rebrand Celestions rate them higher.

You can ask Celestion, they are pretty helpful.

You'll see a lot of talk about Made in China vs Made in UK. I don't think that's current. I think it's all made in China at this point. There was a brief transitional period in like, 2008, where the Mesa V30s were still made in the UK and the off the shelf ones were in China according to some people.

Mesa doesn't make speakers, so anything they make is just a rebranded Celestion.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

You might also see them called "Black Shadow", but it's confusing, some Black Shadows and C-90s are identical, but Mesa has also used the term for other stuff.

As far as V30s go, the strength of the V30 is it's great mic'd. It's a set and forget type thing. Seats the guitar perfectly in a place that doesn't interfere with other instruments, makes it prominent enough.

There are a shit ton of people, myself included, who fucking hate them in a room.

Also, as mentioned in other recent threads, Celestion recommends like a 25 hour break in period. The "new speaker out of the box" sound isn't how they are permanently going to sound.

The context in which V30s are most lauded also involves speaker excursion. Like, you can physically see the speaker excursing. Personally, I think a lot of other speakers are better at lower volumes. Some speakers don't sound optimal until they are actually at the point of excursion. Others can take lower signals better.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

The c90 is very consistent from low to high volume, where the v30 needs to move a bit to sound best.

I also like the c90 best with Mark (and triaxis) sounds and the v30 with rectos. YMMV

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge