NGD: The Ninety's are back

Tags
ngd ninetys
2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·

Holy balls is this thing loud. :lol:

See less See more
#5 ·
10 band and the TS are sittin' on top, and the Two Notes thing should be here tomorrow. Perfect to give the gift of speed metal to my neighbors.

Also I'm glad someone noticed my mids at 1, but I did hope it would take more than 2 damn posts. :lol: :leon:

#19 ·
I finally had time today to cable everything up with the Captor and all of the 2:N mode switches. The captor is great, 20db of attenuation so I can immediately use my amp at normal volumes without making my family hate me. Ignore the beat to shit old rack and dubious pedal position. I needed a few more cables, and that + a new rack ended up being late by a few days. New rack shows up on Tuesday so I'll get to re-mount everything when I recable it with proper straight/right angles etc:

The MXR does the job, but the TS is a little too - nasal, maybe? I like how it makes the power section respond but I don't like what it does to the overall tone. I'll swap it out with the Strymon when I have time and see which is better. Anyway - this thing sounds so ridiculously mean now. :metal:

All I need is time to actually play it, and one of Lee's JPMs! :woohoo: I'll fire up a video when I can for everyone to ignore.

#20 ·
I had a Triaxis for about 3 months. Couldn't get a decent sound out of it, but also couldn't be fucked pressing those awful buttons all the time. Terrible interface design. I think I had it with one of those G Majors, too. Someone here who I won't name sold the TC to me, did a half arsed job packing it, and the big dial on the front was busted in when it showed up. They just flat out didn't help out at all when I told them. So I have pretty negative associations with the G Major.

Despite all of that, I will be checking the clips when you post them. :wub:

#23 ·
Boogie HQ could really boost the TriAxis with analogue knobs, I think. Sacrifice space and go for a 2U device if they have to, to give finer control of the parameters. Hell, I'm sure they could come up with an updated GEQ that could be programmable, too... something with manual sliders for the adjustment, then LED indicators for positions as you roll through your presets.

#24 ·
If you don't like the adjustment of any of the controls you can tweak them very easily.

On the tx3 board there are banks of resistors these are the 'pot' values that are paralleled with the ldrs as simple as replacing them with what you want.

I've been considering doing this to get cover adjustment on the gain control & treble.

DV you can change the preset curves in a similar manner but that's a bit more complex and would need drawing up in spice

#25 ·
"Very Easily." :lol:

Like others, I didn't like the soft-buttons, nor the 0.5 increments, though, I don't think that really held me back any. I REALLY didn't like the "preset V" GEQ thing. But what really got me off the amp was how compressed everything sounded as compared to the couple of heads I had, so I punted on it. That, and I think I had a big rent/moving expense that month :)

I mentioned in JJ's thread, but I think what I'd like to do more than anything, in the modification realm, is pickup another Mesa Studio Pre to tinker with. I already love the sound, and its board looks fairly "simple."

EDIT: ...which I see you've already replied to :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.