This guy makes me want to buy a bunch of preamps - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 32

Thread: This guy makes me want to buy a bunch of preamps

  1. #17


    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: The Swamp
    ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Agreed, but also much easier said than done as an adult. Everything matters to you when you're young, it's just life.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought " if I only knew then what I know now" Id make Bill Gates seem poor.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #18


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: London, England
    ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Eh, it's not that cut and dry really. As an old guy, I am required to have nothing but ire for young people so this is hard for me to admit.... But back in the day, I didn't really give a fuck about my recorded tone and neither did any of my musician buddies that we all swapped demo tapes with. Nobody mimed, nobody spent 50 hours editing video for every 50 minutes spent recording... Shit like that.

    Nowadays, every single company is targeting kids saying "buy our shit and you will sound just like your idols". Then those same idols, who are already great producers, put out a youtube video saying "all I did was put this into reaper and voila! Buy my plugin pack and you will too!". The bar is so high with these people and it's all so disingenuous. These guys who say "oh I just added a little EQ" either added a fucking TON of EQ or they already have fantastic ears in the first place. If I'm a kid and I save my pennies for a Kemper and a Superior Drummer setup, I'm going to be crushed when I buy my Blub kemper pack and my Blub drum pack and find out that it's not as simple as just playing and hitting record.

    I'm a grown man and I overanalyze the shit out of anything I post on here before I share it. I can't imagine how extra stressful that has to be for kids who give a fuck about what their peers think. How do you share your sick new jam that you're super proud of when the guy above you just posted something that sounds like it's straight off of Andy Sneap's desk, with a comment that says "oh I just banged this out in 5 minutes"?

    If I had more time I'd start a youtube channel where I just lay down straight unedited tracks with all of these producer presets and show people what they actually sound like if you aren't already a fantastic engineer.
    I think it's an even more simple thing than that which gets missed. Josh Middleton, Ola, Nolly, Jason Frankhouser, a certain Mattayus, all of these guys are just absolutely solid, clean players who've put in the hours and have that X factor in their playing. They all have good studio skills too, but they're working from an ultra high quality place in their raw materials which no amount of EQ will fix. I saw this with the lead guitarist in Collapse, I can set up a pretty decent guitar sound and play it fairly well, hand the guitar to him and there's just magic in his touch on the instrument. It's complete control over variable picking position, changing pick angle, varying picking strength across techniques, muting, a cleanness in the fretting hand, cleanliness in string transition. When they hype a product, that's what people are hearing and believe it's coming from the product, which it is but not to the high percentage that people think it is.

  4. #19


    Join Date: Apr 2017
    Location: Kansas City
    ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

    iTrader: 0

    Almost 100% of the time I use heads I own into impulses I've made myself. Cuts down on the nonsense.
    C'mon son.

    Hellevate

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #20


    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Eh, it's not that cut and dry really. As an old guy, I am required to have nothing but ire for young people so this is hard for me to admit.... But back in the day, I didn't really give a fuck about my recorded tone and neither did any of my musician buddies that we all swapped demo tapes with. Nobody mimed, nobody spent 50 hours editing video for every 50 minutes spent recording... Shit like that.

    Nowadays, every single company is targeting kids saying "buy our shit and you will sound just like your idols". Then those same idols, who are already great producers, put out a youtube video saying "all I did was put this into reaper and voila! Buy my plugin pack and you will too!". The bar is so high with these people and it's all so disingenuous. These guys who say "oh I just added a little EQ" either added a fucking TON of EQ or they already have fantastic ears in the first place. If I'm a kid and I save my pennies for a Kemper and a Superior Drummer setup, I'm going to be crushed when I buy my Blub kemper pack and my Blub drum pack and find out that it's not as simple as just playing and hitting record.

    I'm a grown man and I overanalyze the shit out of anything I post on here before I share it. I can't imagine how extra stressful that has to be for kids who give a fuck about what their peers think. How do you share your sick new jam that you're super proud of when the guy above you just posted something that sounds like it's straight off of Andy Sneap's desk, with a comment that says "oh I just banged this out in 5 minutes"?

    If I had more time I'd start a youtube channel where I just lay down straight unedited tracks with all of these producer presets and show people what they actually sound like if you aren't already a fantastic engineer.
    That's a great point.

    Hell, I sit here in my studio and fuck with arrangements and tones, wasting MONTHS, because I don't catch myself from thinking ".....but is anyone going to dig this?". It's the rare times I get out of my own head that I actually get shit done and end up happy enough with it that other's appreciation doesn't even enter my head. And shit, I'm already long done caring about guitar heroics, so that's one thing off my plate. The reality is, I know there's maybe 10 people who I know will listen to what I do, then there's 10 I know will listen to it only to bash it (former band members and/or guys I replaced in bands). Why I still let it get to me, I don't know.

    The other aspect of that is that I've gotten so fucking picky since I got my AxeFX. When I was playing through that shit Peavey XXL or even the XXX, I'd turn it on, spend 15 minutes mic'ing it and start recording. Now I record for 10 minutes and tweak...."too much treble"...record 5 minutes..."too much mids, I should buy another IR pack". I need someone to lock my fucking AxeFX so I can't tweak.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

  7. #21


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Interesting subject with good points, particularly around what the kids have to deal with these days (and it applies to everything with social media being such a big deal now - “are my shoes cool enough to get likes?” “Will this pic make me seem cool or like a fool?” A friend who studies trends for a living recently told me anyone under 30 these days lives to get paid in little red hearts (social media likes). Crazy.

    I just play and record what I like, secretly hope y’all dig it too (but don’t admit that cause - psssh #Metal) and drive myself crazy chasing the heaviest tone I can get with ears that aren’t as good as I wish they were and a sinus issue that jacks with my hearing.

    Where’s Ced to tell us just to rock out when this happens?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  8. #22


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: NJ
    ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    That's a great point.

    Hell, I sit here in my studio and fuck with arrangements and tones, wasting MONTHS, because I don't catch myself from thinking ".....but is anyone going to dig this?". It's the rare times I get out of my own head that I actually get shit done and end up happy enough with it that other's appreciation doesn't even enter my head. And shit, I'm already long done caring about guitar heroics, so that's one thing off my plate. The reality is, I know there's maybe 10 people who I know will listen to what I do, then there's 10 I know will listen to it only to bash it (former band members and/or guys I replaced in bands). Why I still let it get to me, I don't know.
    Me too man. In my own head I want to get the best mix within my own hobby-ist ability but in the end. Why??? No one gives a shit about my mix or my music. I have like 2 friends who like my stuff, or at least pretend too. Its either work on music or be a serial killer.

  9. #23


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Me too man. In my own head I want to get the best mix within my own hobby-ist ability but in the end. Why??? No one gives a shit about my mix or my music. I have like 2 friends who like my stuff, or at least pretend too. Its either work on music or be a serial killer.
    I like your music. Here, have a little red heart... ❤️

  10. #24


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: London ONT
    ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    I obsess over my bass tones needlessly, but I'm pretty lax when it comes to guitar sounds . But now I find I want things to sound a little bit better because some people are actually paying money for my music.

    If someone has the means to have a room full of crazy gear, power to 'em.

    (I'm so glad I don't make videos ).
    ________________________________________
    Needs Sleep

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge