NAD! Brutal solid state goodness [vid/clips]
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAD! Brutal solid state goodness [vid/clips]

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

NAD! Brutal solid state goodness [vid/clips]

Grabbed this pretty damn cheap as it was in need of repair, just for funsies/to flip after I've had my way with it. Was a very quick/easy fix (input jack replacement and footswitch repair). Circuit board on this thing is so clean. I love Randall's all-analogue designs.

Honestly wasn't expecting to have this much fun with it. Much prefer it to the RG1503 my drummer left at my house months ago This feels way more valve-y than most other solid states I've played through if I'm honest. Definitely got the girth and grind of a valve amp, but definitely not the volume.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

!

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

Keep on making videos man!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

I really dug playing my RG75G2 with my lwhmet/blackouts metal pickups they really kill on those imo.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I had a solid-state Randall head about 30 years ago, with the gray "mouse fir" covering. Surprisingly non-shitty for what it was. Not that I ever got to turn it up very loud.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Those things are fun as fuck to play. Just yeah, not in a live band context. REALLY scooped voicing and just struggled to get loud.

RH series is an underrated series of solid state/hybrid amps. Also the V-Max and Titan are supposed to be decent as well.

And yeah, the RGXX03 series blows. All mids and no low end. Everything below 300hz does NOT exist with that amp.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Keep on making videos man!!!
    I plan to dude. It seems to come quicker to me than writing actual music does, and it's something I can knock together really quickly without too much stress/pressure/hassle. Plus it gives me an excuse to have a never ending cycle of gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Those things are fun as fuck to play. Just yeah, not in a live band context. REALLY scooped voicing and just struggled to get loud.

RH series is an underrated series of solid state/hybrid amps. Also the V-Max and Titan are supposed to be decent as well.

And yeah, the RGXX03 series blows. All mids and no low end. Everything below 300hz does NOT exist with that amp.
    Yeah, the Titan and Cyclone are all within this same era/series and are basically variations of one another. I think they're all Warhead variations actually? Like, design rejects/seconds. To me, that's the best of the more recent range within Randall. It seems their Fortin-designed stuff (the valve stuff) have massive reliability issues (or so I hear, no personal experience so can't say)

Also, I wouldn't say the RGXX03 series have no bass, but they've either got too much or too little They have very little with the bass boost switch off, but when you put it in it's about normal... unless you push it over 12 o'clock, then it's instantly too much!

I just find the mid knob to be centered at an odd frequency. If you boost it it sounds horrible, if you scoop it it sounds... weird. If you engage the "mid scoop" button and keep it around noon, it's... ok. Definitely not as instantly pleasing as the RH series. It feels/sounds like an altogether cheaper amp in comparison.

In fact that's a good idea for another vid, I might have to compare the two side-by-side....

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

You should convert it to a rackmount preamp, and load it up next to a tube power amp