What's more important speaker or cabinet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's more important speaker or cabinet?

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

I'm a bit at a loss because I pretty consistently preferred the Marshall. Maybe I do need to check it out on some monitors. The only time I preferred the Mesa was when he was comparing the same speaker in the two cabs at the end. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm kind of sick of the Mesa 4x12 sound, however.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

I haven't watched the vid yet but I do enjoy his videos. He knows his shit

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    This dude's youtube thumbnail game is on point.
    You gotta play the game, unfortunately. It's just refreshing to find some good content and someone who speaks from authority based on actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    I'm a bit at a loss because I pretty consistently preferred the Marshall. Maybe I do need to check it out on some monitors. The only time I preferred the Mesa was when he was comparing the same speaker in the two cabs at the end. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm kind of sick of the Mesa 4x12 sound, however.
    I was kinda going back and forth, the first Marshall clip sounded like crap but I found myself thinking 'that's better' after each switch between them later on. I've always disliked the OS sound since I owned one in the late 90's, there's a sound it has in the top end which is a definite characteristic of the cab and I'm not keen on it. Trad size for me every time, I'd love to have heard a comparison between one of those and the Marshall/Mesa hybrid.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    You gotta play the game, unfortunately. It's just refreshing to find some good content and someone who speaks from authority based on actual experience.
    Yeah I know. My role is shitposting though, so I was obligated to call it out.

Having recently become a convert to the church of C90s, I'll go w/speaker as well.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Here's the problem with comparing to see what's better - sometimes you just gotta say fuck it and stick to something. Lord knows all I do most of the fucking time is compare the latest thing I bought to the thing I had, love it at first then realise I preferred what I had in the first place. Volume can make an enormous difference too, as the perceived volumes might be the same to your ears, but its because their EQ curves are hitting different. One might sound like shit in a mix because you have it too loud compared to the other one. And so on, and so on. So I've just started to stick to the thing that *feels* and responds best to me, and the differences in tone can be shaped in other ways. Otherwise you end up like me - endlessly A/Bing things to find a winner instead of actually writing any fucking music.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

As far as I've understood it (and this is hearsay built up over years of information from forums), there is the original V30 made in England, the exclusive Mesa voiced version also made in England, and then the Chinese manufactured version. Both the English versions sound 'good but different' subjectively, the Chinese version not so much. I imagine there's a price point here that manufacturers can consider in their pricing model vs cusomer satisfaction.
    From what I've heard, Mesa didn't like that the voicing of the V30 changed when they moved production to China, and didn't want to put Chinese components in their amps/cabs. So, they got Celestion to keep making them the old model. Supposedly, you can custom order them from Celestion (if you're an amp/cab manufacturer), it's just that no one really does.

It's the Black Shadows that are special. Mesa manufactures the baskets and sources the magnets, and then ships them to England to have the cones and voice coils installed. Mike has a Peavey cab (basically a Marshall clone) with the 85w speakers, and they sound very different from Black Shadows. Black Shadows are significantly darker.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

As far as I've understood it (and this is hearsay built up over years of information from forums), there is the original V30 made in England, the exclusive Mesa voiced version also made in England, and then the Chinese manufactured version. Both the English versions sound 'good but different' subjectively, the Chinese version not so much. I imagine there's a price point here that manufacturers can consider in their pricing model vs cusomer satisfaction.
    I believe V30s are actually made in the UK now like the CL80s, Greenbacks, etc.. They are all just different actual models which is the only difference, country of origin or cutting costs has nothing to do with the sound differences.

https://www.marshallforum.com/thread.../#post-1795871

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewt...58066&start=50