What's more important speaker or cabinet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's more important speaker or cabinet?

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

What's more important speaker or cabinet?

I know I've posted some stuff from Kohle before, but I absolutely love his channel. This is a Marshall V30 vs Mesa V30 comparison, but also switching the speakers between cabs to find out whether it's the enclosure or the speaker that's really making the difference.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

My gut response to the question was speaker. After listening, it's still speaker.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I prefered the Marshall with the Mesa V30's at least in isolation, in the mix it depended kind of on the riff and style. Interesting that there's such a difference between the different V30's. Could it be that as he says he's been using the Mesa all the time and not using the Marshall much, that that's affected the speaker? I've heard people say they don't come alive until after x hours of playing.

Was it also that Mesa had a stockpile of English Celestions, while the Marshall is a Chinese one? You'd still think that Celestion would make sure they sound about the same...
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I prefered the Marshall with the Mesa V30's at least in isolation, in the mix it depended kind of on the riff and style. Interesting that there's such a difference between the different V30's. Could it be that as he says he's been using the Mesa all the time and not using the Marshall much, that that's affected the speaker? I've heard people say they don't come alive until after x hours of playing.

Was it also that Mesa had a stockpile of English Celestions, while the Marshall is a Chinese one? You'd still think that Celestion would make sure they sound about the same...
    Funnily he already addressed speaker break-in on another video. The difference in the speakers themselves was expected, Mesa has their own 'voicing' for the V30 which Celstion make exclusively for them, I've never heard any details of what exactly the difference is though. This video was really to figure out how much of that voicing difference is from the speaker construction vs the cabinet construction.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Funnily he already addressed speaker break-in on another video. The difference in the speakers themselves was expected, Mesa has their own 'voicing' for the V30 which Celstion make exclusively for them, I've never heard any details of what exactly the difference is though. This video was really to figure out how much of that voicing difference is from the speaker construction vs the cabinet construction.

Yeah, the differences there were certainly subtle. I heard a small difference but not a huge amount, not sure if before or after was better either.

It's pretty weird from move from Celestion though - if one V30 sounds like shit and another sounds great, people who have tried the shitty one might not get a Celestion equipped cab at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    It's pretty weird from move from Celestion though - if one V30 sounds like shit and another sounds great, people who have tried the shitty one might not get a Celestion equipped cab at all.
    As far as I've understood it (and this is hearsay built up over years of information from forums), there is the original V30 made in England, the exclusive Mesa voiced version also made in England, and then the Chinese manufactured version. Both the English versions sound 'good but different' subjectively, the Chinese version not so much. I imagine there's a price point here that manufacturers can consider in their pricing model vs cusomer satisfaction.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

I like this guy because he demonstrates the differences in stuff that actually matters, or rather he experiments to see if it matters or not.

I'll watch the video later but by all reports the Mesa V30 is darker and less honky than the standard. People get confused and say it's a "British" V30 in the Mesa and a "Chinese" V30 in other things. That's wrong. There are British made V30's and Chinese made V30's, but the Mesa V30 really is something else entirely.

Fun story - I had a meeting with the UK distributer for Engl once, because they showed interest in my YT channel (lol). Needless to say nothing ever came of it, but the guy I met has been in the gear distro business for quite some years, and was actually responsible for hand-delivering the first ever quad of V30's that Celestion made exclusively for Mesa.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

This dude's youtube thumbnail game is on point.