Angry amps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry amps

ME: Warmoth Strat
    Rig: Triple Rectifier

Angry amps

I'm selling my Mark IV to get something more aggressive. The Mark IV is a great amp but there's something about it that makes me want something else.

I've looked at the Peavey 6505, unfortunately all used heads are either over priced or require me to travel hundreds of miles to get to.

What other pissed off sounding amps are out there for under £1000 used?

I've taken an interest in the Powerball and the Orange Thunderverb 200 or 50. But is the Mark 1 Powerball best avoided and get the Mark 2?

And is the 200 vastly different from the 50?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Engle Savage?
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by maliciousteve View Post
    I'm selling my Mark IV to get something more aggressive. The Mark IV is a great amp but there's something about it that makes me want something else.
    I get this feeling for sure. It's the dryness of the Mark series amps. I have a JP2C which is phenomenal, but every once in awhile I find it uninspiring so I play other amps. When I come back to the amp after a month or two, it sounds amazing and I wonder what the heck I was ever thinking. They're just SUPER dry sounding amps. But man do they sound great cranked up and great recorded.

I would honestly say the amp the Lamb of God used for a decade is aggressive enough, and I believe it was the amp Hetfield used on AJFA in 1988, which was arguably Metallica's best guitar tone to date. You might want to mess with your settings, tubes, and overdrives you put in front of it to see what else you can get out of it. I've gone through a ton of overdrives myself and kept the 1 or 2 that really fit my amps the best.

Having said all that, if you keep the Mark IV, and you want another amp, I would suggest one based on the SLO circuit. So from low to high $$$ - Peavey 5150, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Soldano SLO 100 (They have a 30 out now too). I suggest that because it's a whole different approach to gain than your amp, though it's complimentary. You'll feel good going back and forth between them, which is why a lot of guys have a 5150 and a Mark amp, or a Dual Rec and a Mark amp, because they're two very distinct feels.

Just my $.02. Plus there are less and less Mark IVs in the marketplace right now, and if you let yours go there is no guarantee you could get one back. It's one of the best amps Mesa has ever made. I'd rather they included Simul-class on the JP2C instead of the throw-away Cab Clone, because that big clear bottom-end you get from a Mark IV or a 2:90 is just spectacular.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

theres an EVH EL34 100 on reverb used at the moment

still has the plastic coverings on the logo buy buy buy

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Engle Savage?
    for under £1000?

get off the bong!

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    for under £1000?

get off the bong!
    Make them an offer they cant refuse.

ME: SIggery Heresy,
    MA: Some old washburn
    MB: some Vintage bass
    Rig: Mark IV, axe fx std

I was in a similar boat. I ended up getting a Peavey rockmaster preamp to use with my mark ivs power section. It was just the ticket for me. It gave me that extra saturation I needed, but was still right and punchy.

You could also look at VHTs, they can be super aggressive but dry. I'm not sure if they can be had under a grand, but worth a look.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge