Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NAD: Total overkill

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Vince 
#1 ·
Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Folk instrument

My first Rectifier thanks to Ryan (Mr. S). I've had about 10 minutes using Channel 3 with the SD-1. Sounds killer but really needs to be cranked. Once the neighbour has gone out, I'll get my chance then :scream2:

But anyway, I think this is just what I was looking for. Any suggestions on getting the best from these?

See less See more
#2 ·
That thing shall be dearly missed. I borrowed it many times between owning my two previous Dual Recs.

SD1 doesn't quite have enough juice on tap to push these into a more liquid territory IME. An OD808 or TS-9 is the ticket, as they have a few more db on tap than the Boss.

Just bear in mind, Rectifier distortion is incredibly clean and gritty. Absolutely no compression, and tons of low end. I always kept the bass very low, like 9-10 o clock, even when boosted, and use the presence dial to wash out some of the low mids.

#6 ·
Mattyus is spot on. Rectos on modern have tons of low end, and the distortion is wide open. The low end cut of a TS is great for tightening up the bottom and compressing the preamp.

#8 ·
Simply awesome amp!! I used that exact same model for years. Throw a Maxon 808 or a Grid Slammer in front for exactly what that amp needs. If I'm seeing it correctly, it's the same model triple I had, and if you search this forum there's an old thread of mine for modding the FX loop to serial if you want it to play nice with digital effects.

#13 ·
I always liked my Klon-style overdrive in front of my Roadking. It doesn't "tighten" or cut the low end at all, and the Drive knob is actually usable, adding in that compression that the Recto's don't have.

#15 ·
Any tips for a lead tone? I'm finding that I love the "hugeness" of the rectifier but I seem to prefer the Mark IV for leads and clarity on heavily distorted tones. I was planning on selling the Mark IV but I'm not sure if I should maybe just stick with the Mark IV and sell the Triple Rec. Or be irresponsible and keep both...

#16 ·
I use the orange channel on modern with the mid cranked, bass at about 9PM, treble all the way down, and presence to taste. Gain a bit higher than normal because having the treble off really backs off the gain.

Edit: Note that this sounds better the louder you play.

#17 ·
I sometimes had a second OD sitting next to the first. One for rhythm that might have a bit of a bass cut like a tube screamer, and a second for leads with more a flat EQ like a Klone with the Drive set a bit higher.

Or, yeah, setup the Orange channel for leads, and the Red for rhythms!

Also, make sure your Output is at least up to 12:00, and use the channel Masters as overall volume control. I think this helps the responsiveness of the amp in general, and helps to make the clean channel actually useable :)

#18 ·
I've just arrived at a rehearsal room to put the Triple Rec up against the Mark IV and I think I actually prefer the Triple Rec. The Triple rec needs to be turned up so much more than the Mark IV to get the sweet spot but I'm loving it. Certainly has that pissed off sound I've been after and sounds so much more "bigly" than the Mark IV

The clean channel on the pushed setting also gives a surprisingly convincing fusion-ish tone.

#20 ·
At full volume, having a band where one player has a Mark and the other has a Rectifier is simply awesome. You get the tight-suddenness of the Mark from one player with the pure aggression and frequency domination from the other with the rectifier. You were talking about lead sounds here, and I have to say that when I was playing in a band with my old triple rec, I used the orange channel in Modern mode with more gain, mids, and bass than my rhythm sound on the red channel. However, recently with my newer Dual Rec in a home-recording setup, I vastly prefer the vintage mode on the orange channel for leads. With the right overdrive in front (I've been using the Tone Sovereign from the HX Stomp for leads) it's a smooth and aggressive lead sound that just plain works.

Basically I think the theme of this thread is snag a whole bunch of various overdrive pedals and go at it with this amp. It's made to do this and is one of the most fun amps to experiment with because it's just so incredibly versatile with it's 8 modes on the front and the various power options on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.