NPD: Built a Rat clone - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NPD: Built a Rat clone

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    What op amp does that one come with? I bought a newer Proco Rat (Chinese-made with OP07 op amp) and have bought an aftermarket LM308 chip to try out in it, but havent got around to installing it yet.
    It's an LM308, but I don't know enough to know if there are multiple versions or manufacturers. BYOC just says "NOS" - I don't think it's the Motorola one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It's an LM308, but I don't know enough to know if there are multiple versions or manufacturers. BYOC just says "NOS" - I don't think it's the Motorola one.
    It's the spec of it that makes it do what it does (which is essentially fail to pass a guitars full frequency range through it ) so as long as the spec is the same, it doesnt matter which iteration you have.

It wasn't designed for audio, it was more for a transmission application (signal boosting, or things of that nature). The OP07 is actually a much more efficient audio-orientated op-amp, but as a result it doesnt quite give off that "fucked-up lo-fi" feel, hence why the LM308 is more desirable.

.... on paper, that is. I've installed an IC socket into my Rat so I can swap the chips in and out without soldering each time. It's on my to-do list of YT vids to A/B the two.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III