Anyone here own a Road King split 4x12?

Thread: Anyone here own a Road King split 4x12?

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Anyone here own a Road King split 4x12?

https://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets-...specifications

Inspired by Iron Mike's thread. I have a Mesa V30 4x12 now and I like it, along with a C90 1x12 that I'm completely enamored with. I wouldn't mind punting on the V30 and going with the RK cab and having the best of both worlds in a slightly more compact space.

Anyone own this thing? Any regrets if so? If I had more room I'd just get a C90 4x12 but considering I currently own enough gear to play arenas on my own and I'm not actually in a band, I don't really need another cab.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I've only ever even laid eyes on one once. It really pairs well with the RK, as you can have channel-assignable speaker outputs, basically an ABY for the head>cab.

That said, and I didn't play through it, but I don't think Mesa has made a bad cab (except for that 1x12 Recto Mini Slant Thing).

I'm not sure how different the dimensions are, but you could make a new 3/4 back-cover for your existing cab, and just swap the two V30's in the open side for C90's.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I'm not sure how different the dimensions are, but you could make a new 3/4 back-cover for your existing cab, and just swap the two V30's in the open side for C90's.
    I thought of that too, but my current 4x12 is maybe 10-12 years old and I bought it used. I haven't had New 412 Smell in a damn long time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

The other guitarist in a band I played in had one.

Theoretically, it could provide a "best of both worlds" type thing. And there are probably a few owners who think that, but most people end up just going back to the regular full backed 412.

Also, this doesn't get said a lot, although most manuals for speakers of any kind and cabs say it somewhere, speakers aren't supposed to be directly against a wall. Usually, you want at least 3 feet.

Probably like, 75%-80% of cab users park theirs against the wall. The reason is obvious, the full rig thing takes up space.

It's usually not that big a deal unless you are a huge snob, but if you have an open back or semi open back and your cab is against a wall what is going to happen is the sound from the open portion is going to "leak" a lot more than the sound from the closed portion. There is going to be a lot more sound bouncing off the wall than a closed back cab. When you mic up the road king ones with the semi open back they are pretty much meant to be somewhere in the middle of the room. You are going to get a lot more sound building up between the wall and the back of the cab running it at anything more than whisper quiet volume than you would with a fully closed back. The build up won't be symmetrical either.

I have one and like it with my Road King 2; no regrets. It allows the use of just the C90s (open back), just the V30s (closed back), or both combined.

Any questions about it?

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

I didn't much care for the v30's on one side and c90 on the other. I x patterned it, and since doing so it became my favorite cab I'd ever owned.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas