Modding the 5150 III EL34 50w amp into an absolute beast - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Modding the 5150 III EL34 50w amp into an absolute beast

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

Quote Originally Posted by WombCannon View Post
    Ahh ok. Thanks for the insight sir. Can you shed any light on how it was working with Eddie at all? I know James Brown (peavey) said he could be a bit difficult at times.
    The relationship with Eddie started before I was at Fender it was ~2007 if I recall. I started in 2011 and moved to a position where I got to make friends with basically the R&D department for anything Fender made that wasnt Fender branded guitars.

I was good friends with the lead engineer on EVH and we would talk a lot about the amps and why they were the way they were. I wanted concentric pots and EL34's before they were ever even part of the product plan. The LBX II (green & blue channels) was my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I didn't realize you were in that part of the business while you worked for Fender. It's a great amp, I'm just wondering how much I can tweak it now. I'm wondering if it could even take a set of 6L6s if I cranked the bias way down. Probably not, but it might be interesting to know if it can.
    I wasnt really in that part of Fender but I was the samples inventory manager so anything that was made that was to be a future product had to come through me at some point. I saw a LOT of cool stuff and made friends with a lot of people. I was able to affect change in the product lines based on reading here and /7/ and other sources. It was a really cool position but as hard as I tried, I couldnt convince anyone to actually hire me into the R&D department even after watching some people over there make some egregious decisions that were instantly bitched about across multiple platforms.

In regard to the EL34 to 6L6 I cant remember if the bias can go low enough to get to the spec needed for 6L6. I do know that having played both, the EL34 version is soooo much better IMO.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

Oh I just remembered the Non-Fine-Tuner Floyd craze spurred on after the Charvel Govan sig guitar is a direct result of my suggestion, which is crazy to think about

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

I took Donnie's advice and tried out the E34Ls in the amp. He's right no biasing needed, and I do like them over the EL34s, though it's more of a feel than a sound thing. To my ears, there is a slightly perceptible drop in the high mids and a bit more low mids.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD EC 1000
    Rig: EVH 5150 III EL34 50watt

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I took Donnie's advice and tried out the E34Ls in the amp. He's right no biasing needed, and I do like them over the EL34s, though it's more of a feel than a sound thing. To my ears, there is a slightly perceptible drop in the high mids and a bit more low mids.

I tried them as well and I did NOT care for them all much. You're right that it is more of a "feel" thing and your description is pretty accurate but I went right back to the stock tubes after a few hours.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

I tried them as well and I did NOT care for them all much. You're right that it is more of a "feel" thing and your description is pretty accurate but I went right back to the stock tubes after a few hours.
    I get that. I recorded it just to see if it was a discernable difference, and it's really slight. You'd have to be listening for it, otherwise you wouldn't hear it. It does feel deeper and has slightly less high mids, but trying to get it to tape it doesn't come across much, it's more of a feel. I went back and forth a couple times tonight (holy crap do EL34s get hot!) and there definitely was a difference, I slightly prefer the E34Ls, but I'm keeping the EL34s too.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

If you sorta like the direction E34L's take you, you may want to try a KT77.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Power tube changes are typically more about feel than tone, anyway. It’s not like we’re cranking up high enough for power tube distortion to kick in, so tonal differences are extremely minimal. I’ve always found the tubes that best get out of my way when I’m playing (for lack of a better way of putting it), and that’s totally based on one’s approach.