Axe-FX II vs III - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axe-FX II vs III

ME: EBMM/PRS
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I have an Axe-III and an FM3, along with a Kemper. I had an Axe-II for ages too.

If I had to pick just one I'd go with the Axe-III. If my budget was limited, I'd get the FM3.
    I'm on the wait list for an FM3 at the moment. Would you rate it above the Kemper as that's what I'm using at the moment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I like having 2 Amp Blocks per preset, which means 4 amps across 4 Scenes, using the same pedal layout. If the FM3 has a better, more seamless switching between amps, I might find it more useful, but I'm pretty happy with the IIXL (Chris' old one).

The III looks interesting from the standpoint of having a preset for each of my two bands running all the instruments, but I haven't really hit the feature/processing ceiling of the IIXL yet, so I'm doing well. Though, if I get a fat bonus at work, it'll be hard to not just upgrade anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I've been looking into getting a IIXL+ to replace all my real amps for noodling at home purposes (and maybe playing open Mics when that's allowed again.)
    If that's the main purpose, just keep your amps and get a Reactive Load box like Torpedo Captor X or Suhr RL IR.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I have a Two Notes Torpedo Live, and it is amazing... but the IIXL is still easier, faster, quieter, and oh yeah easier

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I like having 2 Amp Blocks per preset, which means 4 amps across 4 Scenes, using the same pedal layout. If the FM3 has a better, more seamless switching between amps, I might find it more useful, but I'm pretty happy with the IIXL (Chris' old one).

The III looks interesting from the standpoint of having a preset for each of my two bands running all the instruments, but I haven't really hit the feature/processing ceiling of the IIXL yet, so I'm doing well. Though, if I get a fat bonus at work, it'll be hard to not just upgrade anyways
    The FM3 should be able to switch between four channels seamlessly because even though it only has one amp block, the III series amp block has four independent channels, as opposed to the II's two channel amp blocks. So it only needs one amp block to have four different amps available to the preset's scenes.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

I've played through mostly every modeling device and nothing holds a candle to an AxeFx 3. That being said, Arjen Lucassen made 8 killer Prog-Metal albums with a POD 2.0, so who am I to say what a true producer could do in the end.

But also. I recently had my friend show me his Two Note Torpedo Captor 16OHM with a little Marshall DSL1 Watt and a Richie Kotzen Strat. I was flabbergasted at how good it sounded through quality monitors and in my humble opinion it seemed to be on par with the AxeFx 3. Now this could be a giant fluke to my ears but it seemed to really hold up and I was amazed at how well he had it dialed in and one of those is only $269. You could have used that sound he had dialed in for a quality record.

I'd look into that as well. I know Doug Aldrich used the Suhr I.R. loader on the last Burning Rain record with his real amps as well. So, I'd consider that route as well and it would be considerably cheaper, I imagine also very easy to use based on what I saw on screen.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe