New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

That is killer! It sounds like the Rat has an higher output and is pushing the preamp of the JVM a little more?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Rats are great. Love them on guitar and bass, particularly on a mid-gain drive sound.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Is there a modern Rat clone that is true to the original circuit details?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Is there a modern Rat clone that is true to the original circuit details?
    I believe the Ratler by Jam pedals uses nos parts, might want to double check though. It gets favorable reviews on thatpedalshow

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

You watch the JHS pedals youtube channel Matt? He has a bunch of good info on Rats over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    It's better than 99% of boutique distortions for the crusty filth, .
    Quite a few of the boutique ones are based on Rats. Guys like JHS are not shy about how much they love the pedal.

Fucking huge range of different variations over the years of course.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

It definitely can do all kinds of shit too. Nasty busted blowing out transistor shit, overdrive shit like you mentioned. Trey Azagthoth is also a fuckin huge Rat. His core sound is a Rat into a JCM 900. He has all kinds of Rats in his rigs. The rack mount ones too.

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

It's a hype train crazy expensive thing, but I've been eyeing the 1981 Inventions DRV. Based on a Rat but does lower gain better, supposedly. I do own an Idiotbox Blower Box, which is a Rat with a powerful EQ and does a range of low to high gain tones (sounds especially good on bass). Also not nearly as crazy expensive as the DRV.

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Quote Originally Posted by spilla View Post
    I believe the Ratler by Jam pedals uses nos parts, might want to double check though. It gets favorable reviews on thatpedalshow
    Tbh at the price they go for, I'd much rather just wait for the original to come up. Otherwise you won't get any of that vintage mojo (i.e. tolerance drift )

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You watch the JHS pedals youtube channel Matt? He has a bunch of good info on Rats over the years.

Quite a few of the boutique ones are based on Rats. Guys like JHS are not shy about how much they love the pedal.

Fucking huge range of different variations over the years of course.
    Yeah man I love Josh. Anybody who can run a business, whilst making videos singing the praises of their direct competitors, definitely gets my vote! Shows absolute confidence in his products (as well as general humility and self respect).

He's definitely a Rat fanboy. That and the Klon

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    It definitely can do all kinds of shit too. Nasty busted blowing out transistor shit, overdrive shit like you mentioned. Trey Azagthoth is also a fuckin huge Rat. His core sound is a Rat into a JCM 900. He has all kinds of Rats in his rigs. The rack mount ones too.

IIRC, Trey used the R2DU (the rack-mount) which you can cascade, as it's just two RAT's in one unit.

I'd absolutely sell my mother for one of these I love rack stuff, and I love Rat's, and having two in one unit that I could either run independently or cascade... Oh man. The dream.

They did make one from 2002 onwards called the Deucetone Rat, which was basically the R2DU in pedal form, but since its release coincided with their moving production to China, chances are it will be the same as the modern Rat, which is just not the same.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.