New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New vintage pedal day. 1988 ProCo Rat. Clips/vid.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    They did make one from 2002 onwards called the Deucetone Rat, which was basically the R2DU in pedal form, but since its release coincided with their moving production to China, chances are it will be the same as the modern Rat, which is just not the same.
    Have you tried the Digitech Carcosa dude? Those fucking rule. I adore mine. Not boutique at all either.

It also falls into the category of shit you are talking about where like, it can do fuzz, it can do distortion, it can do overdrive.

The Rat is a fucking great example, probably the most iconic, of the fact that the lines between those categories aren't concrete like some people believe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I'd absolutely sell my mother for one of these I love rack stuff, and I love Rat's, and having two in one unit that I could either run independently or cascade... Oh man. The dream.
    I would also pay a meaty price for such a contraption. Sounds like a business opportunity for a certain custom builder subtle cough HEY TONY TWOKNEES subtle cough.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It's a hype train crazy expensive thing, but I've been eyeing the 1981 Inventions DRV. Based on a Rat but does lower gain better, supposedly. I do own an Idiotbox Blower Box, which is a Rat with a powerful EQ and does a range of low to high gain tones (sounds especially good on bass). Also not nearly as crazy expensive as the DRV.
    The DRV and JHS-modded Rat are both on my short list. Scary how much the DRV costs, but it sounds great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Diggin' those Nuno riffs nods.

That Rat sounds tremendous.

EDIT:

Were you playing a heavier version of Whitesnake's "Ready & Willin'?"
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Not that I'm aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Have you tried the Digitech Carcosa dude? Those fucking rule. I adore mine. Not boutique at all either.

It also falls into the category of shit you are talking about where like, it can do fuzz, it can do distortion, it can do overdrive.

The Rat is a fucking great example, probably the most iconic, of the fact that the lines between those categories aren't concrete like some people believe.
    I havent tried the Carcosa, but after some cursory reading it might actually be right up my street for another kinda tone I'm trying to achieve... for certain riffs/songs I like doing what I call "high gain fuzz", where its still essentially the amps distorted tone, but I dust the front end with a fuzz that just kinda fucks the tone up a little bit to get it to sound more lo-fi and fat. Great for sabbathy single-note moments.

Problem is, with most fuzzes (especially big muffs) if you do that into a high gain amp you're met with a calamity of a tone. Even with really subtle settings. You can mitigate it by putting an EQ after the fuzz and sucking out a bunch of low end, or putting a tubescreamer before the fuzz to tighten it up. But ultimately I'd like a fuzz that has the ability to get more subtle, and preferably to have some EQ controls onboard. Particularly for the low end.

And yeh totally agree with your other point. People get really hung up about a pedals dedicated job. So what if something's advertised as a distortion? Just means it's got a different clipping type and has more gain on tap. Overdrives are still Distortions, they just dont have as much distortion
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I had one of these in, well, 1988. That and a Crybaby were the front end into my Carvin X100B half-stack or my Legend 60w combo. Sounded good at the time, but of course I had absolutely no idea what I was doing other than trying to use as much distortion as possible...

ME: DC727
    MB: SR505

The Rat was the first distortion pedal I'd ever played through. When I first got into electric, I had some shitty Digitech pedal (but I fucking loved it) that I used into some even shittier amp. One day, I took my guitar to a friend's house, and his dad ( a bass player) had a half stack, a ProCo Rat and a bunch of other gear I can't remember now. My friend's parents left, I taught my friend the harmony parts to some Iron Maiden and we rocked out for the rest of the night. And I've never played a Rat since

That clip does sound (surprisingly) great.